Learn them here!
1. Rita is originally from Pristina, Kosovo, but she grew up in London after her parents fled the country.
2. Translated from Albanian language, the surname she inherited from her family – Sahatçiu – literally means watchmaker. The other added surname, Ora, translates to “hour.”
3. Despite denials from both parties, there has been a long-running feud between Rihanna and Rita Ora. Rihanna first became upset with her label-mate after accusing the singer of copying her style both musically and fashion-wise. Rumours also surfaced of Rita apparently landing a song that was originally written for Rihanna and also stole her part in Fast and the Furious 6. Rihanna is said to have issued an ultimatum to mutual friend Cara Delevingne demanding that she choose between the two singers. Both Rita and Rihanna are known for being fiery, outspoken personalities so this probably won’t end well for the pair.
4. During CK’s Fall 2011 CKone event, Ora was featured, alongside Cassie. This is probably one of the best fun facts about Rita Ora that we discovered because hey, it’s Calvin Klein people!
5. Rita loves burgers. She didn’t specify what kind though.
6. Rita bravely took on one member of the notorious Kardashian clan when she began a relationship with Kim Kardashian’s brother. As expected, the relationship came to a very bitter, publicized end with Rob Kardashian almost ruining Rita’s career. After being dumped, Rob took to Twitter to vent his fury by claiming Rita had cheated on him with over 20 different guys and that she had also become pregnant with his baby. Rita maintained a dignified silence immediately after the outburst but later commented that “You should have to sit an exam before you go on Twitter to see if you’re mentally stable.”
7. Another 2009 event, Rita Ora auditioned for Eurovision, a singing contest in which she hoped to represent the United Kingdom. Although she got in, Ora dropped out because “she didn’t feel like she was prepared enough.”
8. Ora has addiction to talcum powder, for some unknown reasons.
9. In 2012, the tiny country of Albania celebrated 100 years of independence from the Ottoman Empire. In honour of the occasion, a huge concert was organized in Mother Theresa Square that sits in the heart of the country’s capital on the 29th of October. As one of the most famous performers with Albanian heritage, Rita agreed to attend the concert as a special guest. The singer even waived her usual fee for attending and only asked for ‘optimal conditions’ for her performance. Thousands of excited fans gathered in the rain to watch the singer who gave an incredible performance that delighted the crowd.
10. Rita attended the prestigious Sylvia Young Theatre School in London that counts stars such as Amy Winehouse, Billie Piper and Emma Bunton amongst its former pupils. Reminiscing about her time at the stage school, Rita claimed that she was a “cheeky” pupil and did not always obey the rules. The star claimed that “I hated wearing a hairnet.
11. Rita also appeared as a guest star on 90210 and as a racer in Fast and the Furious 6. She is also filming for Fifty Shades of Grey and appeared as a guest host on the X Factor where she received positive reviews.
12. Rita is classed as having a mezzo-soprano vocal range. This refers to a classic female singing voice that sits in between the contralto and soprano categories. In classical music, mezzo-sopranos usually sing the supporting role in operas. However, many famous operas use this type of voice for the lead role such as Carmen, Barber of Seville and Samson et Dalila.
13. Rita’s grandfather Besim Sahatçiu was a film director who idolized movie actress Rita Hayworth. Rita was named after the iconic actress and credits her as one of her idols. As well as music, Rita is also a talented actress that has appeared in a number of productions. She was cast in the British movie Spivs that was released in 2004.
14. Ora’s mother is a psychiatrist and her father owns a pub. This is where she started gaining experience on singing. Also, she’d often perform during open mic sessions. And thank god back then, open mics are big in London.
15. Rita’s debut album was released on 27th August 2012 and shot straight to number one. Two singles from the album RIP and How We Do (Party) also reached number one in the UK. However, the creative process was not an easy one with Rita stating that it took over three years to get the album ready for release.
16. According to various reports, while this remain vague in many aspects, Ora is working on her own design (maybe we can say collection) of Adidas.
17. Rita broke hearts all over the world after announcing that she had enjoyed a romance with fellow singer Bruno Mars before the two became famous. After Rita signed her deal with Roc Nation, Bruno was hired as her song writer. Rita stated that it was “love at first sight” and the good-looking pair enjoyed a “wonderful” time together. The pressures of work eventually got in the way and they decided to end their relationship as their careers began to take off. However, the two stars remain good friends and were even spotted hanging out since their break-up on multiple occasions.
18. Although many stars can boast of having their own star on Hollywood Boulevard, none can claim ownership of their very own personalized tabasco sauce. Rita has stated in several interviews that she has a mild obsession with the condiment and sprinkles it over cereal, fruit and pretty much everything else.
19. Ora is not the first popstar/R&B singer to perform with the British rock band.
20. Before finding fame and fortune, Rita auditioned for the show Eurovision: Your Country Needs You! The singer auditioned in front of Andrew Lloyd Webber at the age of just 16. After singing Oleta Adams’ hit song Get Here If You Can, Rita had second thoughts and left the competition before hearing whether or not she had been selected.The judges were blown away by her performance and wanted to offer her the chance to represent the UK. Rita has since stated that she is glad she never went through with the competition as her career would have taken a very different course.
21. She loves the VH1 reality-TV show “Mob Wives.”
22. She loves Tabasco sauce on everything.
23. She has more than 150 pairs of “kicks” (sneakers).
24. She worked in a sneaker store when she was 15-years-old.
25. She carries a change of outfit with her at all times.