Read them here!
1. James Eugene Carrey was born January 17, 1962 in Ontario, Canada to Kathleen Oram and Percy Carrey.
2. Carrey wrote letters to Tupac Shakur when Tupac was in prison to help the rapper/actor laugh and smile while behind bars. Tupac said that Carrey was his favorite actor.
3. Carrey would earn his second Golden Globe nomination after his critically-acclaimed performance in “Liar Liar” (1997).
4. He earned his first Golden Globe nomination for “The Mask.”
5. Carrey and his three older siblings (two girls and a boy) were raised Roman Catholic.
6. Carrey was soon noticed by legendary comedian Rodney Dangerfield (“Caddyshack”), who eventually signed the younger comic to open his tour performances.
7. As “In Living Color” came to a close, Carrey starred in “Ace Ventura: Pet Detective” (1994) — his first lead role in a major film and a breakout hit. That same year, the comedian starred in “The Mask” and “Dumb and Dumber.” All three films were big commercial hits and proved Carrey was a serious box office draw.
8. On “Inside the Actors Studio,” Carrey described his father as “a musician who got a ‘regular job’ to support his children.” He added that when his father lost his job, “everything fell apart.”
9. Damon Wayans, Carrey’s co-star in “Earth Girls Are Easy” (1989), introduced Carrey to his brother Keenan, who was creating the sketch comedy show “In Living Color” (1990-1994). Carrey landed a recurring role on the show and set the stage for his Hollywood stardom.
10. The future actor was forced to quit school at 15 to help support the family and took a job as a janitor.
11. Carrey was engaged to his “Me, Myself and Irene” (2000) co-star Renée Zellweger from 1999-2000.
12. His father helped Carrey develop his stage act and would drive him to Toronto to perform stand-up. The comedian made his debut at the comedy club Yuk Yuk’s.
13. In 1996, Carrey married his “Dumb and Dumber” co-star Lauren Holly. After less than a year, the newlyweds split up.
14. In total, Carrey has six Golden Globe nominations and two wins. He won Best Actor (Drama) for “The Truman Show” (1998) and Best Actor (Comedy/Musical) for “Man on the Moon” (1999).
15. Carrey has said that if his career in show business didn’t pan out, he’d probably be working today at the Dofasco steel mill in Ontario.
16. In 1979, Carrey moved to Hollywood and regularly performed at The Comedy Store to hone his impersonation skills and polish his act.
17. As for his personal life, Carrey has been married twice. His first marriage was to former actress and Comedy Store waitress Melissa Womer. The couple tied the knot in 1987 but called it quits in 1995. They have one kid together, Jane (b. 1987), the actor’s only child.
18. When he was just 10 years old, Carrey mailed his resumé to “The Carol Burnett Show” with hopes of landing a job on the program.
19. Despite the two Golden Globe wins, he has yet to be nominated for an Academy Award.
20. In 1983, the young comedian performed on “The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.” Around that time, he branched out to TV and film and starred in “Copper Mountain” (1983) as a sex-starved teen opposite Alan Thicke. The movie was basically an infomercial for the now-closed Club Med in Copper Mountain, Colorado.
21. Jim was forced to quit school at 15 to help support his family. In order to do so, he took a job as a janitor.
22. He considers Dumb and Dumber his funniest movie.
23. He used to wear tap dancing shoes to bed when he was little. He has explained that this was because his parents often asked him to perform in the middle of the night:
“I had a sick mom, man. I wanted to make her feel better […] Basically, I think she laid in bed and took a lot of pain pills. And I wanted to make her feel better. And I used to go in there and do impressions of praying mantises, and weird things, and whatever. I’d bounce off the walls and throw myself down the stairs to make her feel better.”
24. He was almost Captain Jack Sparrow.Apparently, he turned down the role because he was in Bruce Almighty at the same time, in which was naturally brilliant.
25. Before he was famous, Jim promised to himself that one day he would cash a $10 million cheque. He did exactly that in 2001.