Read here 10 unknown facts about the popular TV series “Friends”, according to bustle.com!
1. Monica and Joey were supposed to be the show’s main couple.
Before casting, Monica and Joey were the intended central couple. It’s hard to imagine what the show would have been like if that had been the case.
2. The name of the show during the pilot was “Friends like us”.
3. Jennifer Aniston also almost lost the role of Rachel because of another series.
While starting Friends, Aniston was filming a series called Muddling Through.
4. Courteney Cox was asked to play Rachel.
The creators had a more Janeane Garofalo-type character in their vision for Monica according to Vanity Fair’s Oral History, but, when Cox asked to read for that part, they changed their minds.
5. Ellen DeGeneres turned down the role of Phoebe Buffay.
6. Matthew Perry was filming a pilot for Fox when he auditioned for Chandler.
The show was called LAX2194 — a series about baggage handlers in LAX during the year 2194. Perry almost gave up his role on Friends to do it, he told Seth Meyers during an interview (above).
7. Monica and Chandler’s relationship was pitched in season 3.
Even though it didn’t actually happen until the very end of Season 4.
8. It was also the reason why the show lasted so long.
Fans wouldn’t have been emotionally ready to handle Ross and Rachel’s will they/won’t they for as long as they did were it not for the palate cleanser that was Monica and Chandler.
9. “Shiny Happy People” by R.E.M. was almost the theme song.
10. The frame on the peephole was originally a mirror.
It was broken by a crew member, but the set designer decided to keep it as-is, according to an oft told Friends tale. Now, it’s the most iconic picture frame in television history.