Zac Efron is an American actor and singer. He began acting professionally in the early 2000s, and rose to prominence in the late 2000s for his leading role in the High School Musical franchise (2006–08).
Find out more facts about him, here!
1. Zachary David Alexander “Zac” Efron was born October 18, 1987 in San Luis Obispo, California.
2. His father, David Efron, is an electrical engineer at a power station, and his mother, Starla Baskett, is a secretary who worked at the same power plant.
3. Efron has a brother, Dylan, and had, as he has described, a “normal childhood” in a middle-class family.
4. He was raised in an agnostic household and did not practice any religion as a child.
5. His surname, “Efron”, is an Ashkenazi Jewish surname, taken from a Biblical place name (his paternal grandfather was Jewish, and Zac has described himself as Jewish).[
6. Efron has said that he would “flip out” if he got a “B” and not an “A” in school, as well as that he was a class clown.
7. His father encouraged him to begin acting when Zac was eleven years old.
8. Efron subsequently appeared in theater productions at his high school, worked in the theater The Great American Melodrama and Vaudeville, and began taking singing lessons.
9. He performed in shows such as Gypsy, Peter Pan, or, The Boy Who Wouldn’t Grow Up, Little Shop of Horrors, and The Music Man.
10. He was recommended to an agent in Los Angeles by his drama teacher, Robyn Metchik (the mother of actors Aaron Michael Metchik and Asher Metchik).
11. Efron was later signed to the Creative Artists Agency.
12. Efron graduated from Arroyo Grande High School in 2006 and was then accepted into the University of Southern California, but has deferred his enrollment to work on film projects.
13. He also attended Pacific Conservatory of the Performing Arts, a community college located in Santa Maria, California, which provided him with the opportunity to perform as a “young player” during the years of 2000 and 2001.
14. During this time, he also starred in the musical film Hairspray (2007) and the comedy film 17 Again (2009). He has since appeared in films like New Year’s Eve (2011), The Lucky One (2012), Neighbors (2014), Dirty Grandpa (2016), and Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising (2016).
15. His favorite sports include golf, skiing, rock climbing, snowboarding, and surfing.
16. Some of his favorite cereals include Kashi, Granola, Honey Nut Cheerios & Quaker Oats.
17. Zac is 5’9″ tall.
18. His most prized possession is his autographed baseball collection.
19. His parents started taking him to singing lessons at the age of 11 and he soon landed a role in the production of “Gypsy” which ran for 90 performances.
20. His favorite movie is “The Goonies” (1985).
21. When Zac was a kid he had a poster of supermodel, Tyra Banks on his bedroom ceiling. He got it out of his mom’s Victoria Secret’s catalog book.
22. Efron got “Punk’d” by Hayden Panettiere in 2012, thinking he was getting arrested for a hit and run he did not commit. Efron previously got “Punk’d” in 2007, following the success of “High School Musical.”
23. Efron dated “High School Musical” co-star Vanessa Hudgens from 2007 to 2010.
24. In August 2007, Efron appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine. In the article, the actor revealed he wished to one day play an action hero.
25. Hudgens and Efron’s duet “Breaking Free” from “High School Musical” jumped from No. 86 to No. 4 on the Billboard chart in just one week, making it the fastest climb in the history of the Billboard Hot 100.
26. He had his first kiss when he was in 7th grade while playing the game “Truth or Dare!”
27. In his spare time, Efron enjoys fixing up cars and has repaired two to date, a Delorean and a ’65 Mustang convertible. Both were hand-me-downs from his grandfather.
28. One of his favorite movies is Dumb and Dumber and no matter how many times he watches it, he always finds it funny.
29. He shaved off his eyebrows when he was a kid. He cut off one eyebrow by accident, and cut off the other one so it would match.