Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is an upcoming 2017 English-language French science fiction action-adventure film produced. Let’s see some amazing facts and trivia about it!
1.It is written and directed by Luc Besson.
2. In the 28th century, Valerian and Laureline are special operatives charged with keeping order throughout the human territories.
3. The plot: On assignment from the Minister of Defense, the two undertake a mission to Alpha, an ever-expanding metropolis where species from across the universe have converged over centuries to share knowledge, intelligence, and culture. At the center of Alpha is a mysterious dark force which threatens the peaceful existence of the City of a Thousand Planets, and Valerian and Laureline must race to identify the menace and safeguard not just Alpha, but the future of the universe
4. In 2012, it was announced that Luc Besson planned to make a movie for the big screen of the French comic series Valérian and Laureline, published in 1967, sold 10 million copies and translated into 21 languages.
5. On 12 May 2015, Besson revealed in his very first tweet that he would write and direct Valerian film, while Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne would star.
6. DeHaan and Delevingne would play the titular roles, space and time-traveling agents from a futuristic Earth.
7. On 19 August 2015, Clive Owen signed on to play Commander Arün Filitt in the film.
8. This film marks the return of the director to space opera, twenty years after The Fifth Element, and confirms its appeal to the genre of science fiction, especially after Lucy’s worldwide success in 2014.
9. The budget of €197 million is by far the largest ever assembled for a French film. Asterix at the Olympic Games was the most expensive with a budget of €78 million, just ahead of Besson’s The Fifth Element (€75 million).
10. By the end of August 2015, Besson said in a RTL radio interview that shooting the film in France was too expensive. Because it was shot in a foreign language (English), Besson was unable to benefit from tax credits despite preferring to produce it in France and create jobs for 1,200 crew members.
11. The criteria to obtain these tax credits were then adapted accordingly. In May 2015 it was announced Fundamental Films would invest US$50 million in the film.
12. Principal photography on the film began on 5 January 2016 in the Cité du cinéma, in Saint-Denis, north of Paris.
13. Valerian is scheduled to be released worldwide on 21 July 2017 by EuropaCorp before being released in France on 26 July 2017.
14. Lionsgate will handle the film’s release in the United Kingdom and Ireland. STX Entertainment will distribute the film in the United States.
15. The first teaser for Valerian was released on November 10, 2016. The teaser depicts Marmakas, Entertainers, Bagoulins, and Shingouz, who all appear in Ambassador of the Shadows.
16.The Original Comic For Valerian Inspired Other Movies Such As The Fifth Element and Star Wars
17. This will be Rutger Hauer’s first comic movie since Batman Begins (2005).
18. Cara Delevingne worked out for several months to get in shape for her role as Laureline.
19. This will be the 3rd Sci-Fi Film project by Luc Besson, the other 2 are The Fifth Element and Lucy
20. This is the second adaptation of the “Valérian and Laureline” comic, after Valérian & Laureline (2007)