Stellan Skarsgård is a Swedish actor.
Let’s see some facts about him!
1. Stellan John Skarsgård was born 13 June 1951 in Gothenburg, Sweden.
2. He is the son of Gudrun (née Larsson) and Jan Skarsgård.
3. He moved often in his childhood and lived, amongst other places, in Helsingborg, Totebo, Kalmar, Marielund and Uppsala.
3. Skarsgård started his acting career early; and, by the age of 21, his experience in film, TV and stage was considerable.
4. Most of his early roles were in Swedish television (such as Bombi Bitt) and films. Of Skarsgård’s work in Swedish film, he is perhaps best known for his portrayal of Swedish diplomat Raoul Wallenberg, who worked to save Holocaust victims.
5. Breaking the Waves (1996), Captain Tupolev in The Hunt for Red October (1990), Prof. Gerald Lambeau in Good Will Hunting (1997), Bootstrap Bill Turner in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (2006) and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End (2007), Bill Anderson in Mamma Mia! (2008), Commander Maximilian Richter in Angels and Demons (2009), Martin Vanger in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011), Dr. Erik Selvig in the Marvel Cinematic Universe films Thor (2011), The Avengers (2012), Thor: The Dark World (2013), and Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) and The Grand Duke in Cinderella (2015).
6. Skarsgård has also appeared in music videos alongside fellow Swedes. He was in Eva Dahlgren’s “Vem Tänder stjärnorna” (Who Lights the Stars) in 2009 and Lykke Li’s 2011 music video, “Sadness Is a Blessing”.
7. He married My Agnes, a physician, in April 1975 and together they had six children: Alexander (b. 1976), Gustaf (b. 1980), Sam (b. 1982), Bill (b. 1990), Eija (b. 1992) and Valter Skarsgård (b. 1995).
8. Alexander, Gustaf, Bill and Valter are also actors, while Eija is a former model.
9. Skarsgård and My divorced in May 2007.
10. Stellan married Megan Everett in January 2009. The couple have two sons together, Ossian (b. 2009) and Kolbjörn (b. 2012).
11. Actors Paul Bettany and Jennifer Connelly named their son Stellan after Skarsgård.
12. Skarsgård has been best friends with Peter Stormare since 1976. Skarsgård designated Stormare the godfather to his son, Gustaf.
13. Skarsgård was brought up by humanist, atheist parents and had an atheist grandfather and a deeply religious grandmother. According to Skarsgård, this never led to any problems because of the family’s mutual respect for each other’s opinions.
14. After the September 11 attacks, Skarsgård set out to read the Bible and the Quran, both of which he condemns as violent.
15. Skarsgård is also a critic of religious independent schools in the Swedish educational system.