Rebel Melanie Elizabeth Wilson is an Australian stand-up comedian, actress, and writer. Let’s see some awesome facts and trivia about her!
1.Rebel Wilson was born in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
2. Her mother is a professional dog handler.
3. Rebel Wilson grew up in the suburbs of Kenthurst, Parramatta and Castle Hill.
4. She attended Tara Anglican School for Girls.
5. She completed her Higher School Certificate in 1997, including second place in the state in food technology.
6. Rebel Wilson has three siblings; sisters Liberty and Annachi and a brother, Ryot.
7. Rebel Wilson is allergic to dogs.
8. She grew up with a house swarming with beagles, though she did not learn she was allergic until well after she moved out.
9. Liberty and Ryot (her siblings) appeared on the first season of The Amazing Race Australia in 2011.
10. Rebel Wilson has claimed that her great-aunt was Lillian Bounds, who was married to Walt Disney until his death in 1966.
11. Rebel Wilson’s first career choice was mathematics.
12. She told The Sydney Morning Herald, “I was very academic at high school and was always good with numbers.
13. She attended the University of New South Wales, graduating in 2009 with Bachelor of Arts (Theatre and Performance Studies) and Bachelor of Laws degrees.
14. Rebel Wilson is a former Rotary International Youth Ambassador for Australia.
15. She enjoys rap music and used to compete with her sister Liberty in music competitions when they were younger.
16. She was based in South Africa for one year, where she contracted malaria.
17. She claims the malaria caused hallucinations where she saw herself as an actress who had won an Oscar, convincing her to pursue an acting career.
18. There has been some debate about Wilson’s claims about her background. In May 2015, Australian tabloid Woman’s Day published a story claiming that Rebel Wilson had been misleading about her birth name, age and upbringing.
19. The story was picked up by several other publications including The Sydney Morning Herald, People Magazine, The Chicago Tribune and The Huffington Post. Most notably, Wilson’s true birth date was revealed and confirmed as a result of business records filed with the ASIC, which were obtained by The Sydney Morning Herald
20. In 2003 she moved to New York after winning the ATYP International scholarship, which was funded by Nicole Kidman.
21. She first came to the public’s attention in 2002 with her stage musical The Westie Monologues, which she wrote, starred in and produced in Sydney.
22. In Australia, Rebel Wilson is most known for her roles as Toula on the Special Broadcasting Service (SBS) comedy series Pizza and as various characters including Lucy, Fat Mandi and Karla Bangs on the sketch comedy series The Wedge.
23. In July 2011, Rebel Wilson became a spokesperson for weight loss and nutrition company Jenny Craig in Australia.
24. In January 2012, Wilson told James Wigney and Elle Halliwell of The Daily Telegraph that she had lost 10 kilograms (22 lb) since signing up to the program.
25. Rebel Wilson asserted that the producers of Pitch Perfect had refused to let her lose any more weight during filming, as her contract stated she must stay the same size.
26. She said that once her film commitments were over, she would start her diet again to reach her target weight of 80 kilograms (180 lb)
27. In July 2015, Wilson stated her support for stricter American gun laws following the 2015 Lafayette shooting, stating, “I don’t like getting political but America you really have to follow Australia’s example re gun laws. I don’t remember a mass shooting in Australia since they overhauled the gun laws. It seems like every week in America there’s a shooting. I just want people to be safe, especially people that are doing one of my favorite things in the WORLD – going out to the movies 2 have fun.
28. She likes to wear track suits and dress for comfort.