Octavia Spencer is an American actress and author. Let’s see some amazing facts and trivia about her!
1.Her middle name is Lenora.
2.She was born on May 25, 1972.
3. She made her film debut in A Time to Kill.
4. She was born in Montgomery, Alabama, and has six siblings, including sisters Rosa and Areka.
5. Her mother, Dellsena Spencer (1945-1988), worked as a maid.
6. Octavia Spencer graduated from Jefferson Davis High School in 1988.
7. She studied drama for two years (1988–1989), and received a bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts from Auburn Universit
8. At nineteen, Spencer worked as an intern on the set of The Long Walk Home, a film starring Whoopi Goldberg.
9. Octavia Spencer made her film debut as a nurse in Joel Schumacher’s A Time to Kill, based on the book by John Grisham.
10. She was originally hired to work on casting, but asked Schumacher if she could audition for a part.
11. Other film credits include: Never Been Kissed, Big Momma’s House, Bad Santa, Spider-Man, Coach Carter, Win a Date with Tad Hamilton! and Pretty Ugly People.
12. She has made a number of guest appearances on television series, including Raising the Bar, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, The Big Bang Theory, Wizards of Waverly Place, Grounded for Life, ER, Titus, Becker, 30 Rock and Dharma & Greg, plus a recurring role on Mom.
13. She is best known for her starring roles as Serenity Johnson on Comedy Central’s Halfway Home, and Constance Grady, the amorous INS caseworker on Ugly Betty.
14. In 2003, Spencer made her stage debut in Los Angeles, in Del Shores’ play, The Trials and Tribulations of a Trailer Trash Housewife, starring opposite veteran actress Beth Grant.
15. It was her first and only play, as she told Back Stage Magazine that she suffers from “stage fright.”
16. Later that year, she starred opposite Allison Janney in Tate Taylor’s critically lauded short feature Chicken Party.
17. In 2008, Spencer’s brief appearance in Seven Pounds as Kate, Rosario Dawson’s home care nurse, garnered her high praise and media attention.
18. In April 2009, Entertainment Weekly listed Spencer as among its “25 Funniest Actresses in Hollywood.”
19. In August 2009, Spencer appeared in Rob Zombie’s Halloween II. She also had a role in the American remake of the Danish classic Love at First Hiccup, opposite Scout Taylor-Compton.
20. Spencer starred in the feature film Herpes Boy, alongside Beth Grant, Ahna O’Reilly and Byron Lane. She played the voice of “Minny” on the audio version of novel The Help, by Kathryn Stockett. Later that year, Spencer’s short film The Captain was honored by the CICFF as a finalist for the coveted REEL Poetry Award.
21. In August 2010, Spencer joined Viola Davis, Emma Stone and Bryce Dallas Howard in The Help, an adaptation of the novel. She played the feisty and unflappable Minny Jackson.
22. The film was written, produced and directed by Tate Taylor, and produced by Brunson Green, Chris Columbus, Michael Barnathan, and Mark Radcliffe.
23. She gained critical acclaim, and was mentioned for various awards nominations. She won the 2012 Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress – Motion Picture for her work in The Help.
24. On February 12, 2012, Spencer won a BAFTA for Best Supporting Actress for her Performance in The Help, and on February 26 she won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for the same performance; it was her first Oscar nomination and first win. Spencer was given a standing ovation at the ceremony, and was moved to tears during her acceptance speech.
25. In June 2012, Spencer was invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
26. In 2013, she appeared alongside Michael B. Jordan in Fruitvale Station, a film chronicling the last day of Oscar Grant, who was killed at a Bay Area Rapid Transit station in 2009.
27. In September 2013, it was announced that she would reunite with The Help director Tate Taylor in the biopic on singer James Brown Get On Up, opposite her The Help co-star Viola Davis. The film was released in 2014.
28. From September 2014 until February 2015, she starred in Steven Spielberg’s Fox drama television series Red Band Society.
29. Spencer co-starred alongside Kevin Costner in the drama film Black or White (2014) and co-starred as Johanna Reyes in the second installment of the Divergent series, The Divergent Series: Insurgent (2015). She reprised the role in The Divergent Series: Allegiant (2016). She voiced an otter, Mrs. Otterton, in Disney’s Zootopia, which marks her first animated film.
30. In 2016 she had one of three starring roles as Dorothy Vaughan in Hidden Figures, a film about African-American mathematicians at NASA who were critical to its success in the 1960s in the Space Race, and who each had careers there. This role garnered her a second nomination for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, a category she previously won for her role as Minny Jackson in The Help five years prior.