Michiel Huisman is a Dutch actor, musician, and singer-songwriter. Let’s see some amazing facts and trivia about him!
1.Michiel Huisman was born on 18 July 1981 in Amstelveen, a town near Amsterdam, in the Netherlands.
2. Huisman is married to Dutch actress Tara Elders.
3.They have a daughter born in 2007.
4. The couple used to live in New Orleans, Louisiana, but as of 2017 they have taken up residence in New York City in a McIntyre Building
5. Huisman was singer and guitarist in the Dutch band Fontane, which he formed together with Roland van der Hoofd, Gilles Tuinder, Bas van Geldere, and Donny Griffioen.
6. The band released the singles “1+1=2” (2001), “Slapeloos” (2002), and “Neem Me Mee” (2003).
7. The first single was on the soundtrack of the film Costa! (2001) and the second was on the soundtrack of Full Moon Party (2002), both in which Huisman played a starring role. The band also recorded a version of Willeke Alberti’s song “Telkens weer” for the soundtrack of the movie Love to Love (2003).
8. After two members left the band, Fontane split up and Huisman decided to pursue music on his own.
9. Huisman released the singles “Deel Van Mij” (2005) and “Geef Je Over” (2006), and the album Luchtige Verhalen (2005) as a solo artist.
10. Huisman said in interview about his solo career: “It doesn’t feel like a new start, but as if I’ve started just now.” and “It is personal and closerby. Also the sound of the album.”
11. Huisman began his acting career with a supporting role on Goede Tijden, Slechte Tijden – the longest-running soap opera on Dutch television – where he played Rover, a 14-year-old model who accuses his employers of engaging in child pornography.
12. He was then cast in the made-for-TV films Suzy Q and Uitgesloten.
13. He played supporting roles in the Dutch films Costa! and Volle Maan, both of which were directed by Johan Nijenhuis and aimed at a teen-aged audience. At the same time, he also had a recurring role on the Dutch police series Spangen. Huisman moved into leading-man territory in 2003 with the film Phileine Says Sorry, which was an adaptation of Ronald Giphart’s book of the same title.
14. He also starred as medieval knight Floris in the film Floris, based on the Dutch TV series.
15. In the years that followed he played a leading role in the football comedy Johan, recurring guest roles in the comedy series Meiden van De Wit and the first season of the drama series Bloedverwanten, and the leading role in the medical drama series De Co-Assistent.
16. He also played a small supporting role in the 2006 film Zwartboek by Paul Verhoeven, which became the most successful Dutch film of all time.
17. In 2006, Huisman made his first foray into the international acting world with a supporting role in an episode of the British TV series Dalziel and Pascoe. He followed this with a role as Ernest II, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha in The Young Victoria, and the BBC made-for-TV drama Margot in which he portrayed Rudolf Nureyev.
18. He then joined the main cast of the HBO series Treme, as Sonny, a Dutch busker who plays keyboards and guitar.
19. He was taught New Orleans piano by Davis Rogan.
20. During his time on Treme, Huisman also played a small supporting role in the apocalyptic action film World War Z and started recurring as Liam McGuinnis on Nashville.
21. Huisman replaced British actor Ed Skrein in the role of Daario Naharis for the fourth season (2014) of Game of Thrones. Huisman was promoted to series regular for the fifth season (2015) of the series.
22. Huisman also recurred on seasons 2 and 3 of Orphan Black, portraying Cal Morrison, a rugged outdoorsman who crosses paths with the clones.
23. In 2014, Huisman appeared in the Academy Award-nominated biographical drama film Wild[ and starred in the advertising campaign for Chanel No.5’s The One That I Want, which was directed by Baz Luhrmann.
24. In 2015, Huisman appeared in the thriller The Invitation, and played the leading role in the 2015 fantasy romance film The Age of Adaline.
25. In 2016, Huisman was cast as the lead role in the war-drama The Ottoman Lieutenant which tells the story of a Turkish officer (Huisman) who falls in love with an idealistic American nurse during World War I. The film also stars Hera Hilmar as Huisman’s love interest, as well as Josh Hartnett and Ben Kingsley. The film was released for an Oscar-qualifying run in December 2016 before releasing wide in March 2017.
26. In November 2016, Huisman was cast opposite Lily James to star as the male lead in the romantic drama Guernsey, based on the 2008 novel The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.
27. In 2017 Huisman was announced to play the male lead in another romantic drama titled Irreplaceable You, which will tell the story of Abbie and Sam, soul mates who were destined to be together until death got in the way.The film will also star Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Steve Coogan and Christopher Walken.
28. Huisman was signed to star in the thriller film 2:22 which is set to be released June 30, 2017.Also in June 2017, Huisman was cast to star in the upcoming Netflix TV-series The Haunting of Hill House, which is based on the Shirley Jackson classic 1959 novel of the same name
29. The straight-to-series 10-episode drama is described as a modern reimagining of the tale, and will follow four people living in an 80-year-old mansion. Huisman is set to play Steven Crane, the oldest Crane sibling and a published writer of supernatural books — including a memoir about his family’s time living at Hill House. Filmaker Mike Flanagan will write, direct and executive produce the series.