Kate Winslet is an English actress and singer. She is the recipient of an Academy Award, an AACTA Award, three BAFTA Awards, a BIFA Award, four Golden Globe Awards, a Grammy Award, a Primetime Emmy Award, and three Screen Actors Guild Awards.
Let’s see some interesting facts about her!
1. Kate Elizabeth Winslet was born 5 October 1975 in Reading, Berkshire, England.
2. Her parents are Sally Anne , a barmaid, and Roger John Winslet, a swimming pool contractor.
3. She has two sisters, Beth and Anna, and one brother, Joss Winslet.
4. Winslet began studying drama at the age of 11 at the Redroofs Theatre School, a co-educational independent school in Maidenhead, Berkshire, where she was head girl.
5. At the age of 12, Winslet appeared in a television advertisement directed by filmmaker Tim Pope for Sugar Puffs cereal.
6. Pope said her naturalism was “there from the start”.
7. During her teenage years, Winslet appeared in more than 20 stage productions of Reading-based Starmaker Theatre Company including lead parts such as Miss Hannigan in Annie, Mother Wolf in The Jungle Book and Lena Marelli in Bugsy Malone.
8. Winslet made her television debut with a co-starring role in the BBC children’s science fiction serial Dark Season.
9. This role was followed by appearances in the made-for-TV film Anglo-Saxon Attitudes in 1992, the sitcom Get Back, and an episode of the medical drama Casualty in 1993.
10. In 1992, Winslet attended a casting call for Peter Jackson’s Heavenly Creatures in London. Winslet auditioned for the role of Juliet Hulme, a teenager who assists in the murder of the mother of her best friend, Pauline Parker.
11. The film included Winslet’s singing debut, and her a cappella version of “Sono Andati”, an aria from La bohème, was featured on the film’s soundtrack.
12. The same year, from 7 April to 7 May, she appeared as Geraldine Barclay in What the Butler Saw for The Royal Exchange Theatre. For her performance in the play, she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress by Manchester Evening News Theatre Awards.
13. The following year, Winslet auditioned for the role of Lucy Steele in the adaptation of Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility, featuring Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant and Alan Rickman. She was instead cast in the second leading role of Marianne Dashwood.
14. In 1996, Winslet starred in both Jude and Hamlet. In Michael Winterbottom’s Jude, based on the Victorian novel Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy, she played Sue Bridehead, a young woman with suffragette leanings who falls in love with her cousin, played by Christopher Eccleston.
15. She achieved global stardom with the epic romance Titanic (1997), which was the highest-grossing film of all time at that point.
16. Winslet’s performances in Iris (2001), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004), Finding Neverland (2004), Little Children (2006), Revolutionary Road (2008), The Dressmaker (2015), and Steve Jobs (2015) continued to draw praise from film critics. In 2008, film critic David Edelstein described her as “the best English-speaking film actress of her generation”.
17. Winslet won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her role in The Reader (2008) and the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie for playing the title role in the HBO miniseries Mildred Pierce (2011).
18. Winslet’s greatest commercial successes since Titanic include the romantic comedy The Holiday (2006), the animated film Flushed Away (2006), and the first two films of The Divergent Series.
19. In addition to acting, Winslet has narrated documentaries and children’s books. She was awarded the Grammy Award for Best Spoken Word Album for Children in 2000 for narrating Listen to the Storyteller.
20. She has also provided her vocals to soundtracks of her films, including the single “What If” from Christmas Carol: The Movie (2001).
21. While on the set of the 1991 TV series Dark Season, Winslet met actor and writer Stephen Tredre, with whom she had a four-and-a-half-year relationship. Winslet and Tredre remained close after their separation in 1995. He died of bone cancer during the opening week of Titanic, causing her to miss the film’s Los Angeles premiere to attend his funeral in London.
22. On 22 November 1998, Winslet married film director Jim Threapleton, whom she met while on the set of Hideous Kinky in 1997.
23. They have a daughter, Mia Honey Threapleton, who was born on 12 October 2000 in London.
23. Winslet and Threapleton divorced on 13 December 2001.
24. Following her separation from Threapleton, Winslet began a relationship with director Sam Mendes in 2001, and she married him on 24 May 2003 on the island of Anguilla. Their son, Joe Alfie Winslet Mendes, was born on 22 December 2003 in New York City.
25. Winslet and Mendes announced their separation in March 2010, and divorced in 2011.
26. In August 2011, a fire broke out at a residence in which Winslet, her children, and her then-boyfriend, model Louis Dowler, were staying on Necker Island, the private resort island of Virgin Group founder Richard Branson. The fire caused significant damage to the home, but no injuries.
27. During the same August 2011 holiday on Necker Island, Winslet met fellow guest Ned Rocknroll, and they soon began dating.
28. Rocknroll was born Ned Abel Smith, but later legally changed his name. He is a nephew of Richard Branson and works for Virgin Galactic, the space-travel division of his uncle’s business.
29. Rocknroll was previously married to Eliza Pearson, daughter of Viscount Cowdray. Winslet and Rocknroll became engaged in the summer of 2012.
30. It was announced in September 2012 that the couple had relocated from New York to live in the UK permanently, moving into a heritage home in South Downs National Park in West Wittering, West Sussex.
31. Winslet and Rocknroll married in a private ceremony in New York in December 2012.
32. The couple’s son, Bear Blaze Winslet, was born in the County of Sussex, England, on 7 December 2013.
33. Her favorite type of shoes to wear are boots because she says it makes her feel like she is “firmly on the ground.”
34. She is 12 years older than Evan Rachel Wood, who played her daughter on Mildred Pierce in 2001.
35. Just one week after Ashlee Simpson’s had an embarrassing “recorded song malfunction” on Saturday Night Live, Winslet hosted and she opened the show by singing and dancing live.