Kate Mara is an American actress. Let’s see some amazing facts and trivia about her!
1.Her full name is Kate Rooney Mara.
2. She was born on February 27, 1983.
3. Kate Rooney Mara was born and raised in Bedford, New York. She is the daughter of Timothy Christopher Mara, a NFL scout and vice president of the New York Giants for player evaluation, and Kathleen McNulty Mara (née Rooney).
4. She is the second of four siblings, with one older brother, Daniel; one younger sister, Patricia (known professionally as Rooney Mara, also an actress); and one younger brother, Conor.
5. Mara’s father has Irish, German, and French Canadian ancestry, and her mother is of Irish and Italian descent.
6. Her mother’s side of the family has held ownership in the NFL’s Pittsburgh Steelers football team since its formation in 1933, and her father’s side of the family has held ownership in the NFL’s New York Giants since its formation in 1925.
7. Her paternal grandparents were Wellington Mara and Ann Mara. Wellington co-owned the Giants football team from 1959 until his death in 2005, and was succeeded by her uncle, John Mara, who is currently President, CEO, and co-owner of the team.
8. Her maternal grandfather, Timothy James “Tim” Rooney, has run Yonkers Raceway in Yonkers, New York since 1972.
9. Her granduncle, Dan Rooney, chairman of the Steelers, was a former United States Ambassador to Ireland and the co-founder of the charitable organization The Ireland Funds. An uncle, Art Rooney II, is the current President and co-owner of the Steelers.
10. Kate Mara began acting at the age of nine in a school musical.
11. She attended several youth theater-arts schools and appeared in community theater and in school plays
12. Mara described herself to Esquire magazine as having been “painfully shy” while growing up and said she only had one friend.
13. Her first audition was for the NBC police drama Homicide: Life on the Street. She did not get the role but knew from then on that she just wanted to act.
14. Mara graduated from Fox Lane High School a year early and was accepted into the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University to study musical theater, but she eventually deferred her slot to work as an actress
15. Mara’s first television role was in the NBC legal drama Law & Order in 1997.
16. She went on to guest star on numerous television series, including Madigan Men, Ed and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.
17. Mara landed two recurring roles in 2003, as Kate on Everwood, an 18-year-old who is impregnated by her piano teacher and then gets an abortion, and as Vanessa on Nip/Tuck, a bisexual cheerleader involved in a love triangle with her boyfriend Matt McNamara (John Hensley) and another cheerleader (Sophia Bush).
18. Mara also appeared on Cold Case, Boston Public, CSI: Miami, and CSI: Crime Scene Investigation that same year.
19. In 2012, Mara joined the cast of House of Cards, playing the part of Zoe Barnes, an intrepid reporter from Washington, D.C. who becomes a major ally to Frank Underwood by leaking stories that undermine his rivals.
20. She filmed a second season of the series, which was released on February 14, 2014. On July 10, 2014, she was nominated for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series.
21. Mara’s film debut was in Random Hearts, with Harrison Ford in 1999, directed by Sydney Pollack. She played Jessica Chandler, the daughter of a congresswoman (Kristin Scott Thomas).
22. She next appeared in the Sundance Film Festival award-winning films Joe the King (1999) and Tadpole (2002), alongside Sigourney Weaver. Mara co-starred in Peoples (2004), a drama and coming of age story filmed in Louisville, Kentucky.
23. She starred in the direct-to-video horror film Urban Legends: Bloody Mary and appeared with Noah Wyle and Illeana Douglas in the 2005 film The Californians.
24. Her supporting role as the daughter of Heath Ledger’s character in the Academy Award-winning film Brokeback Mountain that year brought her more widespread critical notice
25. Kate Mara dated actor Max Minghella from 2010 to 2014.
26. In late 2015, she began dating her Fantastic Four co-star Jamie Bell and in January 2017, the couple got engaged.
27. Mara currently lives in Los Angeles and New York City.[
28. She credits her vegan diet and regular workouts for keeping herself fit.
29. Mara has stated she comes from a “huge” family; her father is one of 11 children, and she has 22 aunts and uncles and 40 cousins.
30. As a descendant of the owners of the New York Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers, Mara is a fan of both teams; she joked, “If I’m mad at my mom I root for the Giants, and if I’m pissed at my dad I root for the Steelers.”
31. This relationship contributed to her being cast in We Are Marshall. Mara has sung at both teams’ games, and after missing the Steelers’ victory at Super Bowl XL due to work, her contracts now state that she can attend if either team goes to the Super Bowl.
32. Mara is one of the faces of the Humane Society of the United States.
33. In 2015, she was featured in one of their campaign videos to promote Meatless Monday