Jon Bernthal is an American actor best known for his television role as Shane Walsh on the AMC series The Walking Dead and film roles in The Wolf of Wall Street (2013), Fury (2014), Sicario (2015), The Accountant (2016), Baby Driver (2017), & Wind River (2017). He portrayed LAPD Detective Joe Teague in Mob City and Frank Castle (a.k.a. The Punisher) in the Netflix series Daredevil, and is set to reprise the latter role in the Netflix series The Punisher. So let’s make haste and check out some amazing facts about him!
1. His full name is Jonathan Edward Bernthal.
2. He was born on September 20, 1976.
3. He was born and raised in Washington, D.C., to Joan Lurie (née Marx) and Eric Lawrence “Rick” Bernthal.
4. His grandfather was musician Murray Bernthal.
5. He studied at The Moscow Art Theatre School, in Moscow, Russia.
6. He also played professional baseball in the European professional baseball federation while studying at The Moscow Art Theatre School.
7. While in Moscow, he was noticed by the director of Harvard University’s Institute for Advanced Theatre Training at the American Repretory Theatre and was invited to obtain his M.F.A there.
8. After graduating in 2002 he has performed in over 30 plays regionally and off-Broadway including many with his own award-winning theatre company Fovea Floods.
9. He currently resides in Venice, California.
10. In 2009, Bernthal had a supporting role in the Ben Stiller comedy film Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian as mobster Al Capone. The same year, he became a series regular on the television series Eastwick, which was cancelled after only one season.
11. Bernthal married Erin Angle, the niece of professional wrestler Kurt Angle, on September 25, 2010 in Potomac, Maryland.
12. They have two sons, Henry and Billy (born August 2011 and January 2013), and a daughter, Adeline (born February 2015).
13. Bernthal is a cousin of Adam Schlesinger, bassist of the band Fountains of Wayne.
14. His brother Nicholas, is an orthopedic surgeon at UCLA.
15. He and his brother run a nonprofit organization called Drops Fill Buckets, described as an “impact-driven, entrepreneurial approach to making a difference”.
16. His parents are both from Ashkenazi Jewish families (Jon’s maternal grandfather was born in Munich, Germany, and Jon’s other ancestors emigrated from Austria, Russia, Poland, and Lithuania).
17. He is the first live action actor to portray Frank Castle/The Punisher who was born after the character was created.
18. One of Jon’s two brothers is Tom Bernthal, a three-time Emmy Award-winning former producer for NBC and the founder and CEO of Kelton Global, a business consulting firm.
19. His nose has been broken a reported 13 times to current date.
20. Appears as Frank Castle in the TV series “Daredevil” plus starred with the original “Daredevil” movie star Ben Affleck in “The Accountant” (2016).
21. His favorite films are The Silence Of The Lambs (1991), D.C. Cab (1983), A Prophet (2010), Goodfellas (1990) and True Romance (1993).
22. He loves the South.
23. He doesn’t tweet.
24. One of the things he hates most is when actors talk about how hard their job is.
25. His height is 1.80 m.
26. He weighs 84 kg or 185 lbs.
27. He has a dog named Boss.
28. In 2002, Jon made his first film appearance in Mary/Mary for his role as Manny.
29. Jon adopted a grueling and intense workout regime to prepare for the role of Punisher. He started his workout early in the morning with strength training with a focus on big lifts such as bench presses or squats. These exercises were performed over 5 sets with each set comprising of 3 repetitions of maximum weight possible. His strength training routine also relied on super setting weight lifting moves with bodyweight exercises.
30. His biggest vice is that he drinks too much coffee.