John Wick: Chapter 2 is a 2017 American neo-noir action thriller film. Let’s see some amazing facts and trivia about it!
1.It is directed by Chad Stahelski and written by Derek Kolstad.
2. A sequel to the 2014 film John Wick, the plot follows hitman John Wick, who goes on the run after a bounty is placed on his head.
3. It stars Keanu Reeves, Common, Laurence Fishburne, Riccardo Scamarcio, Ruby Rose, John Leguizamo and Ian McShane, and marks the first collaboration between Reeves and Fishburne since appearing together in The Matrix trilogy.
4. In February 2015, directors Chad Stahelski and David Leitch stated that a John Wick sequel had begun development.
5. The same month Jon Feltheimer, CEO of Lionsgate, stated during a conference call that “We see John Wick as a multiple-title action franchise”. Additionally, it was reported that Kolstad would return to write the screenplay.
6. In May 2015, it was confirmed that a sequel was greenlit, and Lionsgate would be selling the film at the Cannes Film Festival. Reeves and Stahelski appeared in a 30 minute Aol.build interview in early February 2017 to discuss the development and casting of the film.
7. In October 2015, Common joined the film to play the head of security for a female crime lord, and Ian McShane was confirmed to return as Winston, the owner of the Continental Hotel.n November 2015, Bridget Moynahan, John Leguizamo, Thomas Sadoski, and Lance Reddick were confirmed to return, while Ruby Rose, Riccardo Scamarcio, and Peter Stormare were added to the cast. In December 2015, it was announced that Laurence Fishburne would appear in a supporting role.
8. Principal photography on the film began on October 26, 2015, in New York City.
9. At the end of first week, filming had taken place in Manhattan. Filming moved to Rome, Italy next, and later resumed in Montreal, Canada on October 27, 2016.
10. In 2016, it was announced that Tyler Bates and Joel J. Richard would return to write and compose the film’s soundtrack.
11. Also, it featured Alice In Chains guitarist and co-vocalist Jerry Cantrell in the song “A Job To Do”.
12. John Wick: Chapter 2 premiered at Arclight Hollywood in Los Angeles on January 30, 2017, and was theatrically released in the United States on February 10, 2017, by Summit Entertainment.
13. In the United Kingdom, the film was granted a 15 certificate by the British Board of Film Classification, after 23 seconds of a bloody injury within a suicide scene were removed to avoid an 18 rating
14. The film opened in UK cinemas on February 17, 2017, and was distributed by Warner Bros., with co-production from Lionsgate studio Summit Entertainment.
15. As of April 2, 2017, John Wick: Chapter 2 has grossed $91.3 million in the United States and Canada and $70.2 million in other territories for a worldwide gross of $161.5 million.
16. The film grossed $90.5 million in its first nine days of release, surpassing the entire theatrical gross of the first film ($88.8 million).
17. In the United States and Canada, the film opened alongside two other sequels, The Lego Batman Movie and Fifty Shades Darker, and was projected to gross around $20 million in its opening weekend.
18. It earned $2.2 million from Thursday night previews at 2,400 theaters, an improvement over the $870,000 made by its predecessor. It made $11 million on its first day, nearly totaling the $14.4 million the first film made in its entire opening weekend. It went on to open to $30.4 million, more than double the opening weekend of the original film and finishing third at the box office behind The Lego Batman Movie ($53 million) and Fifty Shades Darker ($46.6 million).
19. In its second weekend the film grossed $16.2 million (a drop of 46.7%), finishing 4th at the box office and making more in its second weekend than the original film made in its first
20. On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 90% based on 175 reviews, and an average rating of 7.3/10.
21. In October 2016, Stahelski stated that a third film is in the works.