Emma Watson is a British actress, model, and activist.
Let’s see some interesting facts about her!
1. Emma Charlotte Duerre Watson was born 15 April 1990 in Paris, France, the daughter of English lawyers Jacqueline Luesby and Chris Watson.
2. Watson lived in Paris until the age of five.
3. Her parents separated when she was young; following their divorce, Watson moved back to England to live with her mother in Oxfordshire while spending weekends at her father’s house in London.
4. Watson has stated that she speaks some French, though “not as well” as she used to.
5. After moving to Oxford with her mother and brother, she attended the Dragon School in Oxford, remaining there until 2003.
6. From the age of six, she wanted to become an actress, and trained at the Oxford branch of Stagecoach Theatre Arts, a part-time theatre school where she studied singing, dancing, and acting.
7. By the age of ten, Watson had performed in various Stagecoach productions and school plays, including Arthur: The Young Years and The Happy Prince, but she had never acted professionally before the Harry Potter series. Following the Dragon School, Watson moved on to Headington School.
8. While on film sets, she and her peers were tutored for up to five hours a day.
9. In June 2006, she took GCSE school examinations in ten subjects, achieving eight A* and two A grades.
10. Emma plays field hockey, tennis, rounders and netball. She also dances in several different styles, like break dancing and modern, and likes to take art classes.
11. Her favorite school subjects are art, history and English. Her least favorites are math and geography.
12. Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling wanted Watson for the role of Hermoine from her first screen test.
13. In 1999, casting began for Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (released as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone in the United States), the film adaptation of British author J. K. Rowling’s best-selling novel.
14. Casting agents found Watson through her Oxford theatre teacher, and producers were impressed by her confidence. After eight auditions, producer David Heyman told Watson and fellow applicants Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint that they had been cast for the roles of the schoolfriends Hermione Granger, Harry Potter and Ron Weasley, respectively.
15. She is best friends with Harry Potter co-stars Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint after practically growing up with them on the Harry Potter set. She calls them her ‘brothers’.
16. At the age of 12, she had a crush on her Harry Potter co-star Tom Felton, who plays Draco Malfoy.
17. She was falsely reported to have broken her wrist during the filming of “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets” (2002).
18. For the next decade Watson stayed busy filming the Potter series.
19. Emma thinks of her character Hermione Granger as a potential role model for young girls and as a female action hero who “rocks.”
20. Emma has said she thinks the chances are slim that she will ever be involved in another project that is as successful as “Harry Potter.”
21. Her favourite book from the Harry Potter saga is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
22. Emma had to wait until she was fifteen before she was allowed to have her ears pierced.
23. In 2004 Emma joined Pierce Brosnan, Kenneth Branagh, and Samantha Morton to serve as a jury to select the teenaged film-makers’ “First Light Film Awards” ceremony held in London’s Leicester Square.
24. Emma wore braces for four months in 2005, saying it’s important because a smile is for life.
25. In 2007, Forbes Magazine estimated her earnings for the year at $4 million. At the time she was 17 years old. She was also named the ‘Highest Grossing Actress of the Decade’ by the Guiness Book of World Records. Her film work in the past decade has grossed over 5.4 billion dollars worldwide.
26. In 2005. When she was 15, she was the youngest person to be featured on Teen Vogue Magazine.
27. Emma lent her voice to Princess Pea for the animated movie The Tale of Desperaux in 2008.
28. Watson’s first non-Potter role was the 2007 BBC film Ballet Shoes, an adaptation of the novel of the same title by Noel Streatfeild.
29. She also appeared in a music video for One Night Only, after meeting lead singer George Craig at the 2010 Winter/Summer Burberry advertising campaign.
30. Ιn May 2010, Watson was reported to be in talks to star in a film adaptation of The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
31. In The Bling Ring (2013), Watson stars as Nicki. The film is based on the real-life Bling Ring robberies, with Watson playing a fictionalised version of Alexis Neiers, a television personality who was one of seven teenagers involved in the robberies.
32. Emma was chosen as the face of Burberry’s Autumn/Winter 2009 collection, and again for the 2010 Spring/Summer collection.
33. In 2010, she shocked fans by debuting a cute pixie haircut. The hairdo did make her look more grownup.
34. In June 2012, Watson was confirmed for the role as Ila in Darren Aronofsky’s Noah, which began filming the following month, and was released in March 2014.
35. In October 2013, Watson was chosen as the Woman of the Year by British GQ.
36. She will be seen playing the role of Belle in a 2017 live-action Disney adaptation of Beauty and the Beast opposite Dan Stevens as the Beast.
37. In February 2016, Watson announced she was taking a year-long break from acting. She planned to spend the time on her “personal development” and her women’s rights work.
38. While working on the film Noah, Watson was questioned about her faith, and she described herself as a spiritual Universalist.
39. Watson has promoted education for girls, visiting Bangladesh and Zambia to do so.
40. In July 2014, she was appointed as a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador.
41. In January 2016, Emma Watson started a feminist Goodreads book club: Our Shared Shelf. The goal of the club is to share feminist ideas and encourage discussion on the topic.
42. Emma enrolled at Brown University in 2009, an Ivy League US university where she studied Literature.
43. When she was asked why she chose a US higher education institution and not a British one, she said its because the American system allows students to study many subjects at once.
44. One of her favorite actors is Johnny Depp.
45. Emma is a cat lover. She has two cats named Bubbles and Domino.
46. Emma admires Natalie Portman and Renee Zellweger for their willingness to take on challenging roles in film, even if they are not typically beautiful characters.
47. She proudly proclaims herself to be a feminist, as well as fairly competitive.
48. Emma was ranked #69 on Maxim magazine’s Hot 100 of 2011 list.
49. Her favorite movie is Notting Hill (1999). Her favorite television show is “Friends” (1994).
50. Her favorite singers are Alanis Morrisette and Justin Timberlake.
51. Her nickname is Em.
52. Emma Waston’s net worth is $60 million.
53. Her favourite author is Carlos Ruis Zafon and she loved “The Shadow of the Wind” and its prequel “The Game of the Angel”.