Andy Samberg is an American actor, filmmaker, musician and comedian.
Let’s see some intriguing facts about him!
1. David A. J. Samberg was born August 18, 1978 in Berkeley, California, as David A. J. Samberg, but changed his first name to Andy at age five.
2. His mother, Marjorie “Margi” (née Marrow), is an elementary school teacher, and his father, Joe, is a photographer.
3. He has two sisters, Johanna and Darrow.
4. He is Jewish, although he describes himself as “not particularly religious.”
5 .His maternal grandfather, industrial psychologist and philanthropist Alfred J. Marrow, served as the executive chair of the American Jewish Congress.
6. .Samberg is a third cousin of U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin, as their maternal grandfathers were first cousins.
7. Samberg discovered Saturday Night Live as a child, while sneaking past his parents to watch professional wrestling on television.
8. He was obsessed with the show and his devotion to comedy was frustrating to teachers who felt he was distracted from his schoolwork.
9. Samberg graduated from Berkeley High School in 1996, where he became interested in creative writing and has stated that “[writing classes] were the ones that I put all my effort into… that’s what I cared about and that’s what I ended up doing.”
10. He attended college at University of California, Santa Cruz for two years before transferring to New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts, where he graduated in 2000.
11. He is a member of the comedy group The Lonely Island and was a cast member on Saturday Night Live (2005–2012), where he and his fellow group members have been credited with popularizing the SNL Digital Shorts.
12. He occasionally goes by the stage name Young Sandwich.
13. Samberg has starred in several films, including Hot Rod (2007), I Love You, Man (2009), That’s My Boy (2012), Celeste and Jesse Forever (2012), Hotel Transylvania (2012), Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015), Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (2016) and Storks (2016). He currently stars in the police sitcom Brooklyn Nine-Nine, for which he won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Television Series Musical or Comedy in 2014.
14. Samberg has described himself as a “superfan” of musician Joanna Newsom, whom he first met at one of her concerts.
15. After five years of dating, Samberg proposed to her in February 2013, and they married on September 21, 2013 in Big Sur, California, with Saturday Night Live co-star Seth Meyers serving as the wedding’s groomsman.
15. In March 2014, Samberg and Newsom purchased the estate Moorcrest in the Beachwood Canyon area of Los Angeles, California. They also own a home in the West Village of Manhattan, New York.
16. On August 8, 2017, Samberg and Newsom welcomed their daughter.