Alien: Covenant is an upcoming American science fiction horror film directed by Ridley Scott and written by John Logan.
It is the sequel to the 2012 film Prometheus, the second installment in the Alien prequel series, the sixth installment overall in the Alien film series, and the third installment to be directed by Scott. The film stars Michael Fassbender, Katherine Waterston, Billy Crudup, Danny McBride, Demián Bichir, Carmen Ejogo, Amy Seimetz, Jussie Smollett, Callie Hernandez, Nathaniel Dean, Alexander England and Benjamin Rigby. The film is scheduled to be released on May 19, 2017.
- On November 27, 2015, Ridley Scott announced that this will be the second (following Prometheus (2012)) in a new Alien Trilogy which will take place closer to and lead up to the original film.
- Only Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace and Guy Pearce reprise their roles in this movie after Prometheus (2012).
- Ridley Scott avoided watching Alien³(1992) after it was released, and strongly disliked it when he finally saw it decades later. Subsequently, he came up with the idea of making a “sequel-substitution”, which then became this after many rewrites.
- The new planet, which is assumed to be the home of the engineers, is being referred to as a paradise and could be the home of the gods who created humanity.
- Some of the scenes were filmed in Sydney, Australia at Fox studios. Ridley Scott had given Michael Fassbender time off between takes in order for him to attend the X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) premiere that was being held in the same area.
- The name ‘Alien: Paradise Lost’ was used to avoid confusion that surmounted due to disassociation with ‘Prometheus’ from the ‘Alien’ franchise. The film was later retitled to ‘Alien: Covenant.’
- The title for the movie was changed from Alien: Paradise Lost to Alien: Covenant.
- The film is in production in New Zealand.
- This will be the first time since Alien: Resurrection (1997) That the original Xenomorph will be seen exclusively in an Alien film.
- Rebecca Ferguson was considered for the lead role, but Katherine Waterston was eventually cast.
- This is the second time Katherine Waterston, has appeared with Carmen Ejogo in a movie together, The first Time was Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016).
- This will be the second film that Michael Fassbender and Katherine Waterston have appeared in together. The first being Steve Jobs (2015).
- Katherine Waterston also appeared in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016), the beginning of a prequel series to the original Harry Potter films. The Harry Potter films also featured John Hurt, who appeared in the original Alien (1979).
- Features four actors who’ve worked with Seth Rogen: Katherine Waterston, James Franco, Michael Fassbender, and Danny McBride.
Katherine Waterson & Michael Fassbender previously starred together in Steve Jobs (2015)