You can read them in the list below!
1. The sex-fuelled books may have their fair share of critics, but you can’t argue with their impact – author E.L James has been listed in Time Magazine as one of the “100 Most Influential People in The World”.
2. Actresses auditioning for the part of Anastasia Steele had to read a monologue from the Ingmar Bergman film Persona (1966) to see if they could handle the film’s subject matter.
3. Oprah is an impatient Fifty Shades reader. “I have downloaded all the novels, and for the first time, I can take some guilty pleasure and just read. But I’m thinking, ‘Stop with the story, get to the juicy part.'”
4. E L James’s original pen name was “Snowqueen’s Icedragon.”
5. J.K. Rowling said she has no intention of ever reading FSOG.
6. Reading the book—or worse, the whole series—is linked to a whole load of bad-for-you behaviors including binge drinking, promiscuity, a tendency to have an abusive partner, among others.
7. Hardware stores reported abnormally high rope sales around the time Fifty Shades mania was at a fever pitch.
8. A women’s charity in the U.K. was so disgusted by the book that they requested people donate their copies to be burned. Only 24 books were submitted for the bonfire, so they decided to use the pages as toilet paper instead. Sustainable smut—nice!
9. FSOG has sold more than 100 million copies worldwide, which is more than both Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and the Twilight series.
10. Angelina Jolie was originally offered the gig as director, but turned it down.
11. Sam Taylor-Johnson used her art-world connections to furnish Christian Grey’s penthouse with works by Jake Chapman (a former boyfriend of Taylor-Johnson’s), John Baldessari, Edward Ruscha, Gary Hume, Georgie Hopton, Harland Miller, and Rob Pruitt.
12. Here’s some of the random stuff the book has inspired: baby clothes, a teddy bear, a 15-bacon burger, a board game, a cookbook, two E L James-endorsed wines, and a Family Guy supercut.
13. Jamie Dornan wore a “penis pouch” while shooting. “It’s like one of those little satchels that Robin Hood or someone of that era would have tied on to his belt. There’s no back. It’s tiny. I mean, it’s not tiny! Because it’s got to hold a lot.”
14. There were a few injuries during the nine-and-a-half-weeks shoot. “I think there was a bit of rope burn,” director Sam Taylor-Johnson said. “I’d have to remind Jamie to hold back with the prop.”
15. Jamie Dornan had to learn to walk differently to play Christian Grey: The actor tends to walk on his toes rather than his heels.
16. Buyers of 50 Shades are predominantly middle-aged women.
17. While the Bible is still the biggest selling book in the world, the owner of the Damson Dene Hotel in the Lake District has opted to replace it in all rooms with copies of 50 Shades of Grey.
18. When James first wrote the series she used the pen name Snowqueen’s Icedragon.
19. The books originally started out as Twilight fan fiction entitled Master of the Universe, before being completely rewritten as an original piece. Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey are based on Twilight characters Bella Swan and Edward Cullen.
20. E.L James’ website includes playlists of the songs that helped stimulate her sex scenes. Every book in the trilogy has its own playlist and includes Britney Spears’ Toxic, Frank Sinatra’s Witchcraft and Kings of Leon’s Sex on Fire.
21. The film’s director, Sam Taylor-Johnson is married to Kick-Ass actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson.
22. Singer, Rita Ora is starring as Ana’s younger sister Mia in the film.
23. E.L James has never been to Seattle or Portland, where 50 Shades is set. Instead, she used Google Street View to help her imagine them.
24. According to experts, the books are more powerful than porn. Psychotherapist Rachel Morris said: ‘If the heroine we identify with is both willing and in control, it allows us to imagine making the same choices and enjoying it, even if we’d run a mile in real life.’
25. The producers were chosen by E.L James herself.
26. Charlie Hunnam originally landed the role of Christian Grey, but later dropped out of the film due to his filming schedule for Sons of Anarchy conflicting with the filming schedule for the film.
27. Ryan Gosling was hat-tipped to play the enigmatic billionaire, but he declined the role stating that he wasn’t interested.
28. In 2012, James was the world’s top selling author.
29. Elizabeth Olsen, Katie Holmes and Imogen Poots were all considered for the role of Anastasia Steele.
30. Actor Jamie Dornan used to be an underwear model for the likes of Calvin Kline, Armani and Dior.
31. Ana and Christian Grey are on Twitter. Their Twitter handles are @ChristianTGrey and @AnaRSteele.
32. Actress Dakota Johnson – the daughter of actors Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith – ultimately landed the sought after role for Anastasia Steele.
33. An Australian board game company has developed (you guessed it) the Fifty Shades of Grey Board game. The game is called: The Fifty Shades of Grey Party Game. The game is designed to spice up a girls night in to find out everything you know about your friends before discovers who’s enough of an “Inner Goddess” to win!
34. Sales of duct tape, cable ties and rope at a hardware store skyrocketed after the books release in Pennsylvania thanks to the bondage scenes in the book.
35. Ana and Christian Grey are on Twitter. Their Twitter handles are @ChristianTGrey and @AnaRSteele.