Read here 30 fun facts about the adorable Minions!
1. The average Minion stands at 105cm in height.
2. The Minions’ language may sound like gibberish, but many of their phrases will be recognisable. “Banana” is banana (natch), Bapples is apples, para tú is rough Spanish meaning “for you” and “gelato” is ice cream. Each word in “minion-ese” translates to an actual word.
3. The Minions were originally envisioned as giant “Orc-like brutes”, but over time they got smaller and smaller in a bid to make their master Gru more sympathetic. “The easy way (to do that) was to actually have him surrounded by incompetence,” Coffin said of the yellow critters.
4. The poster for Despicable Me 2 apparently contains more than 10,400 individual Minions.
5. French art director Eric Guillon is creator of the Minions. He came up with the concept for the scene-stealers on the first Despicable Me, and the creatures are now the official mascots for studio Illumination Entertainment.
6. Who voices Kevin, Bob , Stu and the Minions? It’s none other than Pierre Coffin, the French animator who co-directed both Despicable Me films and Minions. For the latter he reportedly voices 899 different Minion characters.
7. Bob suffers from heterochromia iridum, making his eyes two different colours. He’s in good company – David Bowie, Kate Bosworth and Mila Kunis and also have a similar eye discolouration.
8. Short film Orientation Day suggests that the Minions were spawned from a single strand of mutated DNA that transformed into one-cell organisms.
9. In total, seven short films featuring the Minions have been released: Orientation Day, Home Makeover, Brady & Gary, Minion Mayhem 3D, Training Wheels, Puppy, Panic in the Mailroom.
10. The Minions have two Oscar nominations under their belts – both for Despicable Me 2. The film nabbed a nom for Best Animated Film and Best Original Song for Pharrell’s ‘Happy’.
11. The Despicable Me movies have grossed more than $1.4 billion at the worldwide box office. 2013’s sequel was the third-highest grossing film of that year behind Frozen and Iron Man 3.
12. Minions have only three fingers.
13. Despicable Me spinoff merchandise is a lucrative industry in itself. Available to own are a Fart Blaster gun and goggles.
14. The most-viewed Minions video on the web is a ‘best of’ compilation that’s racked up 58.2 million YouTube plays. Close behind it on 58.1 million is a 14-minute rendition of ‘Banana’ to the tune of Beach Boys’ ‘Barbara Ann’.
15. The “evil” purple Minions were created with a PX-41 serum and were designed to be indestructible. They still share their yellow compatriots’ love of bananas and getting up to no good, though!
16. Τhe Minions love to croon, and as such they’ve sang versions of ‘I Swear’, ‘YMCA’ and ‘Barbara Ann’ across the movies. YouTube is rife with fan-made covers, including ‘All About That Bass’ ‘Uptown Funk’ and ‘Let It Go’.
17. All Minions playing a significant role in the films are given male names.
18. If Minions have a sex and how they reproduce is unknown.
19. One-eyed minions are rarely tall.
20. Tall minions all have the same haircut.
21. There are only 5 natural hairstyles for Minions in the Despicable Me films, including being bald.
22. To promote Despicable Me 2, a blimp fashioned after a Minion was flown around the US.
23. The directors of Despicable Me have stated that Minions were written into the script to make Gru more likeable. They found the easiest way to do this was to surround him with incompetence.
24. Minions can survive in outer space, meaning they resist freezing and do not need to breathe oxygen.
25. Minions have been licensed by McDonalds, Hasbro, General Mills.
26. Chiquita Banana created over a half a billion stickers featuring Minions for their product ahead of the release of Despicable Me 2.
27. Minions speak a mixture of Spanish, English, French, and Italian, with additional elements of Russian and Korean.
28. The evil Minions are purple because purple and yellow are on opposite sides of the color spectrum.
29. “The Minions” movie plot is an origin story, showing their evolution from yellow single-celled organisms to their current adorably nefarious state.
30. A third Despicable Me film has also been confirmed by Universal for Summer 2017.