Read below 20 useless facts about “Pocahontas”!
1. The film took a whopping 5 years to complete.
2. It’s the first Disney movie to showcase an interracial relationship.
3. It’s one of two Disney movies inspired by a true story.
4. The song “If I Never Knew You” was scrapped because kids found it too boring.
5. The original lyrics to the song “Savages” were changed because they were deemed too racists.
6. John Candy was going to voice a turkey named Redfeather.
7. Percy the pug is historically accurate.
8. The plot strayed from the true story.
9. Christian Bale gave his character Thomas an Irish and Scottish accent at first.
10. Each scene was rewritten at least 35 times.
11. It was released on the 400th anniversary of Pocahontas’s birth.
12. Mel Gibson provided the singing voice for his character John Smith.
13. The wise Grandmother Willow (voiced by Linda Hunt) was originally a male character called Old Man River.
14. The film was considered a prestige project.
15. Meeko and Flit were supposed to talk.
16. Patrick Stewart was considered for the role of Governor Ratcliffe.
17. 55 animators were involved in designing the character Pocahontas.
18. Pocahontas is the only Disney princess to have a visible tattoo.
19. The line “blue corn moon” has no meaning.
20. Irene Bedard, who voiced Pocahontas, served as the physical model for the character.