How many pizzas are sold each year? What’s the origin of the name “Margherita”? Since when do Europeans have eaten pizza?
- Over five billion pizzas are sold all over the world each year.
- Though pizza became a popular food in the U.S. in 1945, after World War II, it was brought to America by Italian immigrants 50 years earlier.
- Pizza was being prepared by people of Pompei when the volcano erupted and buried the city.
- Kids aged 3-11 prefer pizza over all foods for lunch and dinner.
- Pizza Margherita was given its name by a chef who cooked for a 19th century Italian queen. She ate her pizza with tomatoes and cheese.
- It is estimated that over three billion pizzas will be eaten next year in the U.S. alone.
- Europeans have enjoyed eating pizza since the late 18th century.
- Of all the toppings available, Americans choose pepperoni, a king of salami, as their favourite.