Casey Affleck is an American actor and director. He began his career as a child actor. Let’ see some amazing facts and trivia about him!
1.His full name is Caleb Casey McGuire Affleck
2. Caleb Casey McGuire Affleck was born on August 12, 1975 in Falmouth, Massachusetts.
3. The surname “Affleck” is of Scottish origin.
4. He also has English, Irish, German, and Swiss ancestry.
5. His mother was a Radcliffe College and Harvard-educated elementary school teacher. His father worked sporadically as an auto mechanic, a carpenter,a bookie, an electrician a bartender, and a janitor at Harvard University.
6. In the mid-1960s, he had been a stage manager, director, writer and actor with the Theater Company of Boston.
7. During Affleck’s childhood, his father was “a disaster of a drinker. It ruined his life.”
8. Following his parents’ divorce when he was nine, Affleck and his older brother, Ben, lived with their mother and visited their father weekly.
9. He learned to speak Spanish during a year spent travelling around Mexico with his mother and brother when he was ten. The two siblings spent “all of our time together, pretty much.
10. Obviously at school we were in different grades, but we had the same friends.”
11. When Affleck was 14, his father moved to Indio, California to enter a rehabilitation facility, and later worked there as an addiction counselor.
12. Growing up in a politically active, liberal household in Central Square, Cambridge, Affleck and his brother were surrounded by people who worked in the arts,were regularly taken to the theater by their mother, and were encouraged to make their own home movies.
13. The brothers sometimes appeared in local weather commercials and as movie extras because of their mother’s friendship with a local casting director.
14. Affleck took acting classes and acted in numerous high school theater productions while a student at Cambridge Rindge and Latin School.
15. He has said he “wouldn’t be an actor” if not for his high school theater teacher Gerry Speca: “He kind of turned me on to acting, why it can be fun, how it can be rewarding.”
16. At the age of eighteen, Affleck moved to Los Angeles for a year to pursue an acting career, and lived with his brother and their childhood friend Matt Damon.
17. He soon transferred to Columbia University in New York City, where he followed the core curriculum for a total of two years.
18. Affleck acted professionally during his childhood due to his mother’s friendship with a Cambridge-area casting director, Patty Collins.
19. In addition to local weather commercials and movie extra work, he appeared as Kevin Bacon’s brother in the PBS television movie Lemon Sky (1988), directed by Collins’ husband Jan Egleson, and as a young Bobby Kennedy in the ABC miniseries The Kennedys of Massachusetts (1990).
20. These early acting experiences “meant nothing more than a day off from school” to Affleck, and he only began to consider a career as an actor when in high school.
21. When he later moved to Los Angeles to pursue an acting career in earnest, his first movie role was as a sociopathic teenager in Gus Van Sant’s 1995 satirical comedy To Die For. During filming in Toronto, Affleck shared an apartment with co-star Joaquin Phoenix and they became close friends.
22. While studying at Columbia University, Affleck had a supporting role in Van Sant’s Good Will Hunting (1997), written by his brother and their childhood friend Matt Damon.
23. Despite arranging a first meeting between Van Sant and his brother to discuss the project, Affleck was reluctant to leave college temporarily to act in the film.
24. He was eventually persuaded to play one of four friends living in South Boston – a role written specifically for him – and improvised many of his line.
25. Following the critical and commercial success of the movie, Affleck’s career opportunities did not significantly improve despite parts of his life becoming “part of pop culture and public life.Also in 1997, he had a small role in Kevin Smith’s Chasing Amy, starring his brother. He returned to university for a semester before quitting to focus on his acting career.
26. Affleck’s career then entered a “dark” period, with a series of supporting roles in critical and commercial failures
28. 2007 was a breakthrough year for Affleck, with the release of two films featuring critically acclaimed performances.
29. The first of these performances was in the Western drama The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, in which he played Robert Ford to Brad Pitt’s Jesse James.
30. Affleck auditioned repeatedly for the role. While the director Andrew Dominik had seen Affleck in Gerry,he cast him partly because of his “beautiful-sounding voice.
31. For his performance, Affleck was nominated for the Golden Globe Award, Screen Actors Guild Award and Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.
32. After dropping out of Lowery’s Pete’s Dragon in order to star in Manchester by the Sea, Affleck reteamed with the director to star opposite Rooney Mara in the experimental drama A Ghost Story, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in early 2017.Affleck’s character dies suddenly at the outset and he spends much of the film covered by a white sheet with two eye-holes, haunting his former home.
33. David Rooney of The Hollywood Reporter said Affleck’s performance managed to resonate despite limited time onscreen.
34. In early 2017, Affleck will film his third collaboration with Lowery, this time opposite Robert Redford in the outlaw drama The Old Man and the Gun, Affleck also has a directorial project in development. He intends to direct the Western Far Bright Star, starring Joaquin Phoenix.
35. Affleck was introduced to actress Summer Phoenix by her brother, Joaquin, in the mid-1990s.
36. They began dating in 1999,[ and acted together in both the 2000 film Committed and a 2002 stage production of This is Our Youth. The couple became engaged in January 2004 and married on June 3, 2006 in Savannah, Georgia.They have two sons, Indiana August By early 2015, they had privately separated.
37. They publicly announced their separation in March 2016.
38. Affleck has been a vegan since 1995.
39. He has been involved with animal rights campaigns for both PETAand Farm Sanctuary.
40. In 2008, Affleck filmed an episode of documentary series 4Real, in which he visited the Pawnee Nation of Oklahoma, and remarked upon the progress they had made due largely to “their own resourcefulness and determination and their character, and not because of the goodness of our collective heart.”