Winnie Harlow (born Chantelle Brown-Young, July 27 1994) is a Canadian fashion model, spokesperson and activist. Let’s see some amazing facts and trivia about her!
1.Winnie Harlow was born on July 27, 1994, in Toronto, Ontario, to Lisa Brown and Windsor Young.
2. She is of Jamaican ancestry.
3. She has two sisters.
4. She was diagnosed with the chronic skin condition vitiligo, characterized by portions of the skin losing their pigment, at the age of four years.
5. Winnie Harlow was a victim of verbal abuse by other children and was reportedly called a “cow, zebra and all manner of other disparaging slurs” throughout her childhood.
6. The verbal harassment led to her numerous changing of schools and finally dropping out of high school at the age of 16-17, after which she contemplated suicide.
7. Her first success as a model came in 2013 when YouTube personality Shannon Boodram saw her pictures on Facebook and asked to shoot Harlow for her YouTube music video “Natural Me”.
8. In 2014, Harlow participated in the twenty-first cycle of America’s Next Top Model, where she was revealed to be discovered by the reality television show’s creator and host Tyra Banks whilst she was on the online mobile-sharing application Instagram.
9. Harlow was originally eliminated from the cycle on the fourth episode and originally placed thirteenth.
10. However, the cycle allowed eliminated contestants to continue to participate in photo shoots and gain public votes so that the eliminated contestant with the highest public vote average would be allowed to return and continue competing. She and fellow eliminated contestant Ben Schreen returned on the ninth episode as the former contestants with the highest public vote average.
11. Of the two, Harlow was revealed on the tenth episode to have achieved the highest public vote average out of the eliminated participants. She was permanently eliminated from the twenty-first cycle on the thirteenth episode, ultimately placing sixth.
12. Following her permanent elimination from the series, Harlow modeled for the Spanish casual clothing brand Desigual and even became their official brand representative;
13. Winnie Harlow is the muse of famed photographer Nick Knight, and London designer Ashish.
14. In 2011, Harlow posted a YouTube video, “Vitiligo: A Skin Condition, not a Life Changer”, where she shares her story and answers questions about what it’s like to have vitiligo.
15. In November 2014, Harlow was enlisted to deliver a TED Talk presentation recalling her experience with vitiligo and her perspective on fashion, image, and understanding beauty – in which she stated, “there is beauty in everything. Know for yourself what beauty is rather than looking to a magazine or even me for what beauty is. Know it in your heart and make your own mold for what beauty is”
16. In 2015, Harlow spoke at the ‘Dove Self-Esteem Project Panel’ at the 2015 Women in the World Foundation Annual Summit.
17. Also in 2015, she released a personal essay about bullying, abuse, and her vitiligo, which received acclaim across the globe.
18. In 2015, Harlow was presented with the ‘Role Model’ award at the Portuguese GQ Men of The Year Event.
19. In 2016, Harlow’s diverse look is featured in the latest Sprite television commercial created by the Coca-Cola Company.
20. On Instagram, the Sprite company described Harlow as a “dream chaser and ground-breaker… who defined herself before giving others the chance”. In another Instagram post, Sprite writes, “Winnie Harlow doesn’t need anyone telling her who she is. She shows up and shows out on her own terms”.
21. Filmed in December 2015, Harlow appears in the new visual album Lemonade (Beyoncé album), by American singer, songwriter, record producer and actress Beyonce, released on April 23, 2016.
22. She was featured in the music video for Eminem’s song “Guts Over Fear.”
23. Her height is 1.75
24. She has modeled international fashion collections at New York Fashion Week runway shows.
25. Winnie Harlow is the brand ambassador for Spanish fashion label Desigual with Adriana Lima.