Martin Garrix is a Dutch Dj, record producer and musician. Let’s see some amazing facts and trivia about him!
1.His full name is Martijn Gerard Garritsen
2. He was born on May 14, 1996.
3. He often stylizes his name as Mar+in Garri×.
4. He is currently ranked number 3 on DJ Mag’s Top 100 DJs.
6.In 2016, he founded the label STMPD RCRDS months after leaving Spinnin’ Records.
7. Martin Garrix learned to play guitar at age 8.
8. In 2004, he expressed interest in becoming a DJ after seeing Tiësto perform at the Olympic games in Athens.
9. He took particular inspiration from the track “Traffic”, prompting him to download specialist software, FL Studio, and enabling him to start composing.
10. In 2013, he graduated from the Herman Brood Academy, a production school in Utrecht. Garritsen ghost writes tracks for other artists, and despite this, only one in fifty of his tracks have made it out to the public.
11. In an interview when asked about his social class, Garritsen said middle-class.
12. He also said his ‘dream mentor’ was Calvin Harris.
13. Martin Garrix had his beginnings with the songs “BFAM” (with Julian Jordan) and “Just Some Loops”, a collaboration with TV Noise that appeared on the compilation album Loop Masters Essential, Volume 2.
14. He signed to Spinnin’ Records in 2012, releasing “Error 404” through the label.
15. In 2013, Garritsen co-released “Torrent” with Sidney Samson on Tiësto’s Musical Freedom label.
16. He gained fame through his own solo release “Animals” released on 16 June 2013 on Dutch record label Spinnin’ Records, becoming a hit in a great number of charts in Europe, and became the youngest person to reach the No. 1 spot on Beatport.
17. The track appears on Hardwell’s album Hardwell presents ‘Revealed Volume 4’.
18. On 30 September 2013, Martin Garrix released a remix of “Project T” by Sander Van Doorn and Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike which quickly hit No. 1 on the Beatport charts.
19. He appeared on DJ Magazine’s top 100 DJs list in 2013 as a new entry at number 40. In 2014, he appeared on DJ Magazine’s top 100 DJs list at number 4.
20. In November 2013, Garritsen signed a deal with Scooter Braun’s Scooter Braun Projects (later School Boy Records).
21. In December 2013, he released “Wizard” with Jay Hardway, the song has peaked to number 6 in Belgium and number 17 in the Netherlands.
22. His collaboration with Firebeatz, “Helicopter”, placed No. 1 on the Beatport Top 100 charts for 2 weeks.
23. He performed at Ultra Music Festival 2014, where he debuted several new and unreleased tracks, including collaborations with Dillon Francis, Hardwell and Afrojack.
In 2014, he released “Proxy” as a free download. He released a song with MOTi with the title “Virus (How About Now)” which was later in the year as well as his collaboration with Afrojack releasing “Turn Up the Speakers” which Afrojack and Garritsen both premiered at Ultra Music Festival
24. In 2015, he experimented with progressive house and started producing progressive style apart from his signature big room sound. On 6 February 2015, he released the track “Forbidden Voices” as a gift for 10 million likes on his Facebook page.
25. In February 2015, he released the single “Don’t Look Down” featuring Usher.
26. He also released two video versions for it on Vevo, “Towel Boy” and “Towel Girl.”
27. The track was written by Martin Garrix James ‘JHart’ Abrahart and Busbee. It peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard Dance Club Songs.
28. In an interview with DigitalSpy in early 2015, Garritsen noted that Usher is a “humble” artist and a great collaborator to whom he can direct input.
29. He also worked with multi-Grammy winner Ed Sheeran on a track called “Rewind Repeat It” which he played at Ultra Music Festival in Miami in March 2015.
30. On 4 May 2015, he released a track with Tiësto, called “The Only Way Is Up”.
31. On 22 May 2015, Avicii released a lyric video of the song “Waiting for Love” co-produced by Garritsen. On 6 July 2015, Garritsen released the Break Through The Silence EP with Russian DJs Matisse and Sadko.
32. Later, on 31 October 2015, he released a track titled “Poison” as a promotional single.
33. On 26 August 2015, Garritsen made an announcement on social media regarding rumors he had terminated his agreements with the company Spinnin’ Records and MusicAllStars Management in which he confirmed he was no longer working with the two companies.
34. The cause was cited due to a “…difference of opinion between us regarding the reasonableness of the agreements.” over ownership rights of his music.
35. The major debate revolves around ownership of his first major hit “Animals,” which was released when he was only 17 and lacking experience in contract negotiation.
36. In November 2015, after being split from Spinnin’ Records, Garritsen announced that he would create his own record label.
37. On 31 December 2015, Garritsen released “Bouncybob”, his final track of the year, for free, which he had co-produced with Justin Mylo and Mesto.
38. Martin Garrix launched his own record label called STMPD RCRDS in the first quarter of 2016.
39. On 11 March 2016, he released his first single via STMPD RCRDS titled “Now That I’ve Found You”, featuring the vocals of John Martin and Michel Zitron.
40. On 20 February 2016, Garritsen announced that his debut album will be arriving this year via Twitter after the social media platform asked some of its content curators to use its new video platform to announce their plans for 2016.
41. On 18 March 2016, he debuted a great part of his 2016 debut album at Ultra Music Festival, and chose to use his one-hour set to premiere ten new unreleased tracks, including collaborations with Jay Hardway, Julian Jordan, Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park, Ed Sheeran, Bebe Rexha and Third Party along with AREA21, a music duo believed to be Garritsen himself with Maejor.
42. On 27 May 2016, he released his second single “Lions in the Wild” with British DJ duo Third Party.
43. On 13 June 2016, Garritsen released a promotional single titled “Oops” which became the E3 2016 anthem.
44. On 26 July 2016, it was announced that Garritsen signed a ‘worldwide’ contract with Sony Music International.
45. On 22 August 2016, Garritsen made his first ever live performance of his own music, with Rexha on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, accompanied by The Tonight Show’s house band, The Roots.