Maddie Ziegler is an American dancer, actress and model who achieved wide notice at an early age. She first became known for appearing in Lifetime’s reality show Dance Momsfrom 2011. at age 8, until 2016. From 2014 to 2016, she gained wider fame for starring in five music videos by Sia, including “Chandelier” and “Elastic Heart”. She has also guest-starred on scripted shows, danced on various TV shows and at concerts, and has been seen on magazine covers and in feature articles.
Let’s learn some fun facts about her!
1. Madison “Maddie” Nicole Ziegler was born September 30, 2002.
2. She was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to Melissa Ziegler-Gisoni and Kurt Ziegler, who owned a mortgage company.
3. She is of Polish, German and Italian descent.
4. Her parents divorced in 2011, citing the financial and emotional toll that dance took on the family, and her mother married Greg Gisoni in 2013.
5. Ziegler has been an active member of the Abby Lee Dance Company since the age of two. She trains in tap, ballet, lyrical, contemporary, acro, jazz and aerial dance.
6. Maddie Ziegler has a younger sister, Mackenzie (born June 4, 2004), a dancer and singer who appeared with her on Dance Moms, two older half-brothers from her father’s previous marriage, and two older step-siblings from the previous marriage of her step-father, Greg Gisoni, a vice-president at Westinghouse Electric Company.
7. Ziegler attended Sloan Elementary School until 2013, when she left to be homeschooled.
8. Ziegler and her family have long lived in Murrysville, Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh,and now split their time between Murrysville and Los Angeles.
9. Ziegler has won numerous titles at regional, state and national dance competitions, including the 2014 Dancers Choice Award for Favorite Dancer 17 & Under.
10. In 2010, Ziegler performed for Paula Abdul’s reality television program Live to Dance, but the program was canceled before her performance aired.
11. In 2011, eight-year-old Ziegler and her mother appeared on the first season of Lifetime’s Dance Moms, a reality show about the young dancers on Abby Lee Miller’s Abby Lee Dance Company Elite Competition Team and their often quarrelsome mothers.
12. Dance Moms helped to make Ziegler “one of the most famous dancers in the entertainment world currently. … [She inspires] other dancers to pursue their dreams with originality and grace.”
13. Ziegler has appeared in music videos for such artists as Alexx Calise, Sia and Todrick Hall.
14. She gained wide notice, at the age of 11, by starring in the 2014 video for “Chandelier” by Sia, who discovered her on Dance Moms.
15. The video won the ARIA Music Awardfor Best Video and received nominations at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards for Video of the Year and Best Choreography, winning the latter.
16. It was also nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Music Video in 2015.
17. She gained wide notice, at the age of 11, by starring in the 2014 video for “Chandelier” by Sia, who discovered her on Dance Moms.
18. The video won the ARIA Music Award for Best Video and received nominations at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards for Video of the Year and Best Choreography, winning the latter.
19. It was also nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Music Video in 2015.
20. In 2012, Ziegler, along with her mother and sister, partnered with Starlight Children’s Foundation to help raise awareness for chronically ill youth.
21. Ziegler stated that she enjoys dedicating her time to helping other children, and that it is a rewarding experience.
22. She has modeled for Capezio, Ralph Lauren and Target, among other brands.
23. Ziegler was named by Time magazine as one of the “30 most influential teens of 2015.
24. She does noy enjoy waking up early.
25. Although, she usually wakes up around 8-9 am.
26. She has not seen an episode of Dance moms, season 4, because she says she does not need to, she lives in it.
27. Maddie has stated that her life was easier before the show because she would have more fun and hang out with her friends instead of having a stressful program.
28. She never lets her mom do her makeup. She has learned to do it on her own from Youtube videos.
29. She also posts her own makeup tutorials on Youtube.
30. All the money that her family collects on Meet-and-Greets goes to charity.
31. Maddie couldn’t attend the summer program at Joffrey Ballet School in New York because she was shooting Dance Moms.
32. Maddie dances every single day. Her strongest style of dance is tap.
33. Maddie gets her clothes from A&F, Sally Miller, Charlotte Rousse, AE, Hollister, and Purple Pixies.
34. Maddie’s music skipping in season 2 was just for the show and she was not actually being judged during that performance.
35. She likes to watch “Jesse” and “Shake it up”,
36. Maddie had 8 callbacks for the Broadway show Billy Elliott, however if she went on Billy Elliot she could no longer participate in Dance Moms because she would be considered a professional dancer.
37. Professional dancers are not allowed to compete at dance competitions.
38. Maddie’s middle name comes from her cousin Nicole who was the first person to hold her after she was born, Maddie was the first person to hold Nicole’s daughter, Natalya.
39. Her favorite animals are dogs, monkeys and zebras.
40. She wasn’t originally named Maddie. She was originally named Taylor. But, her parents changed her name to Madison when she was a couple of days old.
41. Maddie and her sister Mackenzie have to pay for their own phones…even the cases!
42. Her favorite security guard is apparently a cutie named Kipper.
43. She dances like it’s a full-time job, often staying at the studio until 8:45 p.m. or 9:45 p.m.