Lana Del Rey is an American signer, songwriter and model. Let’s see some amazing facts and trivia about her!
1.Her full name is Elizabeth Woolridge Grant
2. She was born on June 21, 1985
3. She has one younger sister, Caroline Grant and one brother, Charlie.
4. Her paternal grandfather, Robert England Grant, Sr. was a Kidder, Peabody & Co. investment banker, a vice president for Plough, Inc and Textron, and venture capitalist.
5. She is of Scottish descent.
6. Lana Del Rey grew up in rural Lake Placid, New York, and attended a Catholic elementary school and for one year, a high school where her mother taught.
7. She began singing in her church choir when she was a child, where she was the cantor.
8. At age fifteen, she was sent to Kent School by her parents to deal with her rampant alcohol abuse her uncle, an admissions officer at the school, secured her financial aid to attend.
9. Before becoming a singer, Del Rey wanted to be a poet.
10. As a child, her father wrote country songs for personal enjoyment, while her mother was interested in singing; the former introduced her to The Beach Boys, while the latter was a fan of Carly Simon.
11. After graduating, Del Rey was accepted to the State University of New York at Geneseo, but she decided not to attend and instead spent a year living on Long Island with her aunt and uncle while working as a waitress.
12. During this time, Del Rey’s uncle taught her how to play guitar, and she “realized [that she] could probably write a million songs with those six chords”.
13. Shortly after, she began writing songs and performing in nightclubs around the city under various names such as “Sparkle Jump Rope Queen” and “Lizzy Grant and the Phenomen”.
14. The following fall, she enrolled at Fordham University where she majored in philosophy.
15. Lana Del Rey said she chose to study the subject because it “bridged the gap between God and science
16. According to Del Rey, she had trouble making friends in boarding school and college nd said, “that was when my musical experience began. I kind of found people for myself”.
17. She lived in The Bronx and later moved to New Jersey while in college and volunteered at homeless youth and drug and alcohol outreach programs, as well as helping paint and rebuild houses on an Indian reservation in the western United States.
18. After college, she moved to Brooklyn, where she resided for another four years.
19. On April 25, 2005, a seven-track compact disc was registered under Elizabeth Woolridge Grant with the United States Copyright Office. The application title was “Rock Me Stable” with another title “Young Like Me” also listed.[
20. After uploading them to her YouTube channel in 2011, Del Rey’s videos for the songs “Video Games” and “Blue Jeans” became viral internet sensations, and she was signed by Stranger Records to release “Video Games” as her debut single.
21. Lana Del Rey’s sound has been dubbed “Hollywood sadcore”.
22. Her music has been noted for its cinematic sound and its references to various aspects of pop culture, particularly that of 1950s and ’60s Americana.
23. Lana Del Rey has been described as a “self-styled gangsta Nancy Sinatra” and “Lolita lost in the hood”.
24. Lana Del Rey has also been called “a torch singer of the internet era” and “the anti-Gaga.”
25. Following in the shadow of artists like Prince and David Bowie, Del Rey chose her musical identity because it “reminded [her] of the glamour of the seaside. It sounded gorgeous coming off the tip of the tongue”.
26. Del Rey has attributed her work to various stage names including Lizzy Grant, Lana Rey Del Mar, Sparkle Jump Rope Queen and May Jailer
27. Del Rey possesses an expansive contralto vocal range, which spans three-plus octaves and has been described as captivating and highly emotive, being able to transcend from sounding high and girlish in her timbre, down to a low and jazzy sound with great ease, although both these areas of the voice can be conflicting in the contrast of their sound, initially polarizing opinion.
28. Following the release of Ultraviolence, which was recorded live in single takes and lacking Pro Tools vocal editing, critics fell into favor with Del Rey’s vocal ability, praising her large range, increased vocal confidence, and uniquely emotive delivery.
29. When recording in the studio Del Rey is known for vocal multi-layering, which, as it has been noted, is difficult for her to replicate within a live setting, especially with the lack of backing singers to fill out the original vocal style.
30. Stage fright has also been noted as a major contribution to Del Rey’s struggles with live performances.
31. However, journalists noted in 2014 that her live performances had increased exponentially in confidence.
32. Billboard Magazine deemed the Coachella debut of West Coast to be a “star-making performance” and lauded the singer’s vocal abilities.
33. Lana Del Rey stated the use of her lower vocals on the tracks from Born to Die, claiming that “people weren’t taking me very seriously, so I lowered my voice, believing that it would help me stand out. Now I sing quite low… well, for a female anyway”.
34. LanaDel Rey stated that she suffered from alcoholism at a young age, but has been sober since 2004
35. She was in a relationship with Kassidy member Barrie-James O’Neill from August 2011 until June 2014.
36. Previously, Del Rey was in a relationship with alternative rock and antifolk musician Steven Mertens.
37. Mertens produced her debut album, Lana Del Ray, before it was re-recorded by David Kahne.
38. She was also in a seven-year-long on-again, off-again relationship with the head of a record label, who was a great inspiration to her and whom she calls the love of her life.
39. She met him in her early twenties when she was trying to have her debut album released by a major label, and they are still close.
40. Lana Del Rey moved to a home near Hancock Park in Koreatown, Los Angeles, in June 2014 (after living in New York, New York and London, England in the previous years), and she resided there with her siblings, Caroline and Charlie, for some time.
41. Lana Del Rey then relocated to a secluded beach-front home in Malibu, California, in June 2015, after dealing with trespassers at her former house
42. Lana Del Rey is Roman Catholic.
43. Lana Del Rey’s left hand is tattooed with the letter “M”, referencing her grandmother, Madeleine, and the word “paradise”.
44. Her right hand is tattooed with the phrase “trust no one”.
45. She also has the phrase “die young” tattooed on her right ring finger. Another tattoo on her right arm says, “Whitman Nabokov”.
46. By November 2015, she had “Nina, Billie, Whitney and Amy” tattooed across her chest.
47. In 2012 Del Rey admitted her affinity for English Premier League football club Liverpool F.C..
48. Lana Del Rey is friends with rapper Azealia Banks as well as rockers Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson.
49. Lana Del Rey’s work has earned her numerous awards and nominations; she has won the Q Award for “Best New Thing”, a GQ Award for “Woman of the Year”, two BRIT Awards for “International Breakthrough Act” and “International Female Solo Artist”, and an EMA for “Best Alternative Act”.
50. In 2013, she received her first Grammy nominations at the 56th Annual Grammy Awards.
51. These nominations include Best Pop Vocal Album for Paradise and Best Song Written for Visual Media for “Young and Beautiful”.
52. In 2015, Del Rey won the MTV Europe Music Award for Best Alternative. She also received the Trailblazer Award at the 2015 Billboard Women in Music event.
53. In February 2016, Del Rey received “Best Female Artist of the Year” award from The Elle Style Awards by Elle magazine.