Snapchat is an image messaging and multimedia mobile application. Let’s see some interesting facts and trivia about him!
1. It was created by Evan Spiegel, Bobby Murphy, and Reggie Brown when they were students at Stanford University.
2. The prototype for Snapchat was started by Brown and Spiegel as a project for one of Spiegel’s classes at Stanford, where Spiegel was a product design major.
3. Beginning under the name “Picaboo”, the idea was for users to communicate using images that were explicitly short-lived. When, in April 2011, Spiegel floated the product idea in front of his class as a final project, the classmates balked at the thought of temporary photos.
4. Picaboo was renamed Snapchat when the app was rebranded and added to the Google Play in 2012 for Android users.
5. Inspiration for the disappearing messages came to Spiegel and Murphy after a friend regretted sending a photo to someone else.
6. That friend is supposedly Frank Reginald Brown. Brown approached his friends Spiegel and Murphy with a “million dollar idea”. The three launched Picaboo, but Brown claims that Spiegel and Murphy ousted him.
7. Since then, Brown has sued his two former friends, who in turn, have filed a restraining order.
8. Mark Zuckerberg tried to acquire Snapchat for $1 billion in October 2013. Spiegel and Murphy rejected that offer.
9. Mark Zuckerberg returned a month later with a $3 billion offer, which was again rebuffed.
10. Snapchat has become so popular now that Facebook is the only rival which can beat it. Snapchat regularly ranks at number 2, just behind our favourite social networking app.
11. As of 2016, there are over 7 billion pictures and videos which are viewed every single day by Snapchat users. This amount increased from 2 billion in May 2015.
12. Between 2014 and 2015, co-founder Evan Spiegel and pop singer Taylor Swift reportedly had a romance.
13. 70% of the people using Snapchat are female, leaving just 30% from the male population. As of 2014, over half of the users are between the ages of 13 and 17.
14. While brands like Taco Bell, Karmaloop and 16 Handles have been using Snapchat since 2013, the launch of Stories has seen an increase in brands ranging from HBO’s Girls, the New Orleans Saints, and Acura.
15. Hollyoaks became the first soap opera to use Stories as a way of posting teasers and exclusive content every weekday at 4 P.M.
16. In June 2013, Snapchat Kidz was released. This included an “interface for taking snaps, captioning, drawing, and saving them locally on the device, but does not support sending or receiving snaps or adding friends,” and was designed for children under the age of 13.
17. The Snapchat team focused on usability and technical aspects, rather than branding efforts. An exception was the decision to keep a mascot designed by Brown, “Ghostface Chillah”, named after Ghostface Killah of the hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan.
18. In June 2013, Snapchat version 5.0, dubbed “Banquo”, was released for iOS. The updated version introduced several speed and design enhancements, including swipe navigation, double-tap to reply, an improved friend finder, and in-app profiles. The name is a reference to the ghostly hero from Shakespeare’s Macbeth, a character in the play who is ultimately seen to be victorious over evil.
19. A feature known as “Geofilters” was added in July 2014, which allows special graphical overlays to be available if the user is within a certain geographical location, such as a city, event, or destination.
20. In October 2015, Snapchat started working with companies to create sponsored Lens filters.
21. In May 2016, as part of a campaign to promote X-Men: Apocalypse, 20th Century Fox paid for the entire array of lenses to be replaced by those based on characters from the X-Men series and films for a single day.