1. She was born in Australia in 1990, Margot was raised on her grandparents’ farm on the Gold Coast. She later moved to Melbourne to pursue acting.
2. “Maggot” is an affectionate term for Margot Robbie as the nickname that was given to her by family, the star is one of four children. The name grew on her throughout school when her classmates got in on the joke too.
3. To prepare for her sex scene with Leonardo DiCaprio, she took three shots of tequila – at nine in the morning!
4. Not many stars can say they made it big in Hollywood by hitting Leonardo DiCaprio, but then nobody else is a brave as Margot Robbie. When the day came to audition for the part in Wolf of Wall Street (2013) she was undoubtedly nervous, which probably caused her to lash out. She knew she had to think of a move that would really stand out to really impress both the director and her future co-star. With her senses heightened as the pair were acting out an intense moment where the couple have a fight – she walked over to Di Caprio and swiped him straight across the face. She said of the moment; I’m thinking, “You just hit Leonardo DiCaprio in the face. They’re going to arrest you because that’s assault. You’re definitely never going to work again, that’s for sure. They’ll probably sue you as well in case there’s a bruise on his face and he needs to film something else.” And then all of a sudden Marty and Leo just burst out laughing. Marty says, “That was great!” Leo’s like, “Hit me again!”
5. She is a proud member of Greenpeace.
6. She hilariously dressed up as James Franco’s character from Spring Breakers for Halloween… and there are photos to prove it!
7. Already an award winner for her acting work, she scooped an Empire Award for Best Female Newcomer and has been nominated for a BAFTA and MTV Movie Award; all for her performance as the second wife of Jordan Belfort, Naomi Lapaglia, in Wolf of Wall Street (2013).
8. She was a series regular on an Australian soap opera called Neighbours, in which she played a beautiful and fiery character named Donna Brown.
9. During filming for the scene where Margot Robbie’s character in Wolf of Wall Street (2013) tries to seduce Jordan Belfort; Martin Scorsese suggested that when she opens the doors in her apartment to reveal herself that the actress would be wearing a robe. This level of modesty did not go down well with Robbie, it appears it just wasn’t a bold enough move. In order to make the character more realistic, she insisted on appearing nude. In an interview she claimed; “The whole point of Naomi is that her body is her only form of currency in this world. So when Marty was trying to help me out, and said in the scene where she seduces Jordan perhaps I could have a robe on, I said she wouldn’t. She has to be naked. She’s laying her cards on the table.” The scene was shot how Robbie wanted it to be but we’re guessing she really had to twist the director’s arm.
10. Margot says she’s not much a girly-girl when it comes to fashion. “Most of the time I end up wearing shorts and a T-shirt and a pair of Converse,” she told Grazia Daily. “If I’m making an effort it’s on the less feminine side, more grungy and edgy.” Her favourite red carpet designers are Oscar de la Renta and Ellie Saab, but the actress opts for Australian-made clothes for everyday wear.
11. She earned her first acting role shortly after graduating from Somerset College in 2007.
12. She’s a tomboy. “I’m happiest when I’m surfing or out on the farm hunting wild pigs, building cubbies out in the paddocks or riding around on motorbikes,” she said in a 2008 interview on the Neighbours website.
13. Her first two film roles were in the features Vigilante in 2008 and I.C.U. in 2009
14. She stared opposite Will Smith in the film Focus, in which she played a pickpocket.
15. She co-starred with Christina Ricci in the short-lived ABC series Pan Am.
16. She was raised with two brothers and a sister by her mother Sarie Kessler.
17. Despite her stunning good looks, Margot says she struggles to find a date. “I’m always single. I’m never in one place long enough to get a boyfriend,” she revealed in a recent interview. When asked about her dream man, however, Margot didn’t hesitate to describe what she was looking for: “Rugged. I like ponytails, beards, maybe a tattoo,” she said.
18. She was romantically linked to Jillian Barberie in 2004.
19. She worked at Subway before making her acting debut and says she’s a pro at building the perfect hoagie — especially BLTs.
20. Additionally, she was cast as Harley Quinn in the 2016 film Suicide Squad and as Jane Porter in the 2016 film Tarzan.
21. There’s no denying that when Margot Robbie attends a hockey game she really throws herself all in. Her favourite team is the New York Rangers and is often found passionately supporting their games. Blue, red and white funnily enough are her favourite colours.The actress is unrecognisable from her demure appeal on the red-carpet when she’s sporting her oversized hockey jumper, seen above celebrating next to her long-term boyfriend Tom Ackerley. She is a self-confessed tomboy and even plays right-wing in her own hockey team.
22. Pan Am (2011-2012) was a comedy series which received outstanding reviews from critics and was dubbed by some as the ‘Mad Men of the sky’. Although, even with all the good press, the show hit a ratings slump and wasn’t renewed for a second season. Margot Robbie landed one of the lead roles beside Christina Ricci where they both played stewardesses. When they were made to wear 60’s retro super tight girdles, it was her roomie Ricci that would help her wrestle into costume. Robbie commented “I don’t know how women in the 1960s did it. I don’t know how women got dressed by themselves”. Robbie now lives in London with five of her close friends.
23. Margot Robbie turned down huge money to do Playboy after Hugh Hefner asked for ‘that one from Wolf of Wall Street.’ The actress will only take all her clothes off for artistic purposes and feels no need to display her appealing figure on the cover of gentleman’s magazines. She has also commented that she isn’t shy about her own body image and in fact embraces how young and beautiful she is, stating; “When I’m in my 50s I’m going to be looking back saying, ‘Whoop, whoop, look how good mum looked’”.
24. If you’re an actress in Hollywood auditioning for the same role as Margot Robbie, then you might as well just go home. She will be playing Jane in the upcoming movie Tarzan (2016) beating Jessica Chastain and Emma Stone to the part. She also came first out of a ton of other beauties for her role in Wolf of Wall Street (2013) including Blake Lively, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Teresa Palmer and Amber Heard. She does still know the pain of losing out on a role though as she auditioned for Susan Storm/The Invisible Woman in Fantastic Four (2015) but Kate Mara was handed the part. For her upcoming role as Harley-Quinn she didn’t have to audition, she was simply offered the role.
25. Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith are one of Hollywood’s most admired and long lasting couples, with a marriage that has stretched over 15 years; which, considering the professions they are both in, is a modern miracle. Things haven’t always been too easy for the pair though as they are constantly haunted by rumours of infidelity and tension in the marriage. Margot Robbie was concerned she would never land the lead role opposite Smith in Focus (2014) as nobody would believe they were a couple; however when they both met she said they both had “instant chemistry”. So much so that the two were splashed all over the tabloids when they both entered a photo booth and had several snaps taken of them both lifting up their tops together and goofing around. There was no affair, but we’re sure Mrs Smith wasn’t too happy with her husband’s “instant chemistry” with his co-star.
26. Margot used to work at Subway. Before she made her acting debut, she was a pro at building the perfect hoagie and her job title was that of “Sandwich Artist.”
27. She loves beer and french fries. The actress admits to having a pretty poor diet, admitting: “I love beer, fries, burgers, but if I have to get in a bikini then I eat carrot sticks for three days. I’m one extreme or the other.”
28. She’s been trying to get into the superhero game for a while. Before being confirmed as Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad, she also auditioned for the role of Susan Storm in the upcoming Fantastic Four.
29. Her mother, Sarie Kessler, is a physiotherapist.
30. Featured in Inside Film Magazine’s 2012 Rising Talent issue. The special feature profiled 25 rising young Australian actors including Jai Courtney, Alex Russell, Adelaide Clemens, and David Ludlow.
31. Ranked #22 on Maxim’s “Hot 100” of 2014 list.
32. Appeared on the cover of Vanity Fair’s 20th Anniversary Hollywood Edition, alongside George Clooney, Julia Roberts and Jared Leto, Léa Seydoux, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Lupita Nyong’o, Idris Elba and Naomie Harris.
33. Was originally cast as Penelope in the film A Bigger Splash (2015) but dropped out due to scheduling conflicts and Dakota Johnson replaced her.
34. Was voted “Sexiest Eyes” by Victoria’s Secret’s annual What is Sexy List, 2015.
35. She turned down the role of Sam in Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), which eventually went to Emma Stone.