1. Adam Noah Levine was born on March 18, 1979.
2. He is an American singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and actor.
3. He is the lead vocalist for the Los Angeles pop rock band Maroon 5.
4. Born and raised in Los Angeles California, Levine began his musical career in 1994, when he co-founded the alternative rock band Kara’s Flowers, of which he was the lead vocalist and guitarist.
5. The band split up after their only album, The Fourth World (released in 1997), which did not gain popularity.
6. In 2001, the group was reformed – with guitarist James Valentine joining the line-up – and began a new, musical chapter, changing their name to Maroon 5. In 2002, the band released their first album, Songs About Jane, which went multi-platinum in the US.
7. Since then, they have released four more albums, It Won’t Be Soon Before Long (2007), Hands All Over (2010), Overexposed (2012) and V (2014). As part of Maroon 5, Levine has received three Grammy Awards, two Billboard Music Awards, two American Music Awards, an MTV Video Music Award and a World Music Award.
8. Since 2011, Levine has served as a coach on NBC’s reality talent show The Voice.
9. The winners of the first, fifth and ninth seasons, Javier Colon, Tessanne Chin and Jordan Smith, were on his team.
10. In 2012, he made his acting debut as a recurring character in the horror television show American Horror Story: Asylum for the series’ second season. He also starred in the film Begin Again.
11. As an entrepreneur, Levine launched his own eponymous fragrance line in 2013.
12. The same year, he collaborated with K-Mart and ShopYourWay.com to develop his menswear collection.
13. He also owns a record label, 222 Records.
14. In 2013, The Hollywood Reporter reported that “sources familiar with his many business dealings” estimated Levine would earn more than $35 million that year.
15. Adam Noah Levine was born in Los Angeles to Fred Levine, the founder of retail chain M. Fredric, and Patsy (née Noah) Levine, an admissions counselor.
16. He has two uncles, journalist and author Timothy Noah and television producer and writer Peter Noah.
17. He has two uncles, journalist and author Timothy Noah and television producer and writer Peter Noah.
18. Levine’s parents divorced when he was seven.
19. Growing up, he spent weekdays with his mother and weekends with his father.
20. He underwent therapy for his parents’ divorce, but called it a “waste of time” explaining that his parents could not “accept the fact that I might have been OK with it. I cried my eyes out and kicked and screamed and said, ‘Why?’ and all the things you do when you find out. A few days later I was fine but I still had to go to therapy.”
21. Levine describes his family as “very musical” and credits his mother with “start[ing] me out on the path”.
22. He also attributes his mother’s idols – Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac and, most notably, The Beatles – to shaping his musical style, calling them “a huge part of my upbringing”.
23. He attended Brentwood School, where he met Jesse Carmichael and Mickey Madden, his future bandmates.
24. Levine used hallucinogenic drugs in his adolescence. In an interview with Q, he said that using mushrooms “really forced me to look at myself” but added that he had never abused drugs. On Jimmy Kimmel Live!, he stated that he stopped using prescription drugs after his first experience with prescription drug Ambien, which left him unconscious for an hour.
25. Levine’s father and maternal grandfather are Jewish, while his maternal grandmother was Protestant.
26. Levine considers himself Jewish, though according to an interview with The Jewish Chronicle, he “has rejected formal religious practice for a more generalized, spiritual way of life”. He chose not to have a Bar Mitzvah as a child, explaining: “I felt as though a lot of kids were trying to cash in … I just don’t think it’s the most respectful way to deal with God and beliefs and years and years and years of cultural heritage.”
27. Levine’s interest in music started at around ten years of age, when he first started playing the guitar. He found music an outlet for feelings, stating: “I picked up a guitar and that was it. I fell so madly in love with it, it’s all I did”.
28. He performed his first professional gig at The Troubadour when he was twelve, but was so nervous he played with his back to the audience.
29. In early 2010, while performing at the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue release party in Las Vegas, Levine met Russian Sports Illustrated swimsuit and Victoria’s Secret model Anne Vyalitsyna. They began a relationship which ended in April 2012.
30. Levine began dating Namibian Victoria’s Secret model Behati Prinsloo in May 2012. They broke up in March 2013, but later reconciled and subsequently became engaged in July that year. The couple were married on July 19, 2014 in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.
31. Levine, whose brother openly identifies as gay, is an outspoken supporter of same-sex marriage and LGBT rights.
32. In 2011, he made a video on Maroon 5’s official YouTube account in support of the It Gets Better Project. In January 2012, he announced that Maroon 5 had changed the location of their post-Grammy Awards show because of the “unnamed Los Angeles restaurant’s backing of Proposition 8”.
33. Has known Jason Segel and Jake Gyllenhaal since kindergarten.
34. Cites The Beatles (John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr) as his heroes.
35. Good friends with Jason Segel, Jake Gyllenhaal, Natalie Portman, Adam Brody and Billie Joe Armstrong.
36. Briefly toured with Reel Big Fish while guitarist/lead singer Aaron Barrett recovered from a hand injury.
37. His favorite musical artists are Prince and Stevie Wonder, who he calls his ‘spiritual leader’.
38. Owned a Golden Retriever called Frankie who passed away in 2013.
39. Worked as a writer’s assistant on Judging Amy (1999) while writing songs for Maroon 5’s first album, “Songs About Jane”.
40. Has paw print on the back of his right shoulder that says “Frankie Girl” underneath it.
41. Chosed by People magazine as the Sexiest Man Alive in 2013.
42. Good friends with Blake Shelton.
43. Songs About Jane was followed by It Won’t Be Soon Before Long (2007) and Hands All Over (2010), the latter of which featured the smash hit “Moves Like Jagger,” which peaked at No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, on the Billboard chart.
44. Levine has also found success along the way by appearing on other musicians’ albums, working with such superstars as Kanye West, Alicia Keys and Natasha Bedingfield.
45. In 2012, Maroon 5 returned to the charts with its fourth studio album, Overexposed, featuring hits like “One More Night” and “Payphone” with Wiz Khalifa. Levine and his bandmates went on an international tour to promote the recording.
46. The band continued to enjoy great popularity with its next effort, V (2014). The album contained hits “Maps” and “Animals.”
47. Maroon 5 earned their first Grammy Award (best new artist) in 2004. The band would go on to win Grammys for best pop performance in 2005 and 2007.
48. He has been linked to several ladies including Cameron Diaz, Lindsay Lohan, Jessica Simpson and Maria Sharapova. “There are two kinds of men. There are men who are f–king misogynist pigs, and then there are men who really love women, who think they’re the most amazing people in the world. And that’s me,” he tells Details. “Maybe the reason I was promiscuous, and wanted to sleep with a lot of them, is that I love them so much.”
49. Levine founded his own record label, 222 Records, in February 2012. He stated that he was inspired to start the label to sign on Rozzi Crane, an USC music student he discovered through a mutual friend. She became the first singer signed on to the label, followed by Glee actor Matthew Morrison, Mexican artist Diego Boneta and The Voice contestant Tony Lucca.
50. Levine made his small-screen debut on FX’s American Horror Story: Asylum, starring alongside Jenna Dewan-Tatum as one half of a married couple who set out on their honeymoon to explore the country’s most haunted locations.
51. He surprised Behati Prinsloo and the world after he proposed to her after a year of dating on-off in July 2013.
52. It’s no secret he loves tattoos and has nine and counting all over his body.
53. The “222” tattoo on his forearm represents door number of the very first studio that Maroon 5 ever recorded in.
54. Levine also has a heart with the word mom scrolled through on a ribbon placed on his left forearm simply because he loves his mom.
55. Many try to guess at Adam Levine tattoo meanings regarding this piece but few figures out what it is. The X on his left bicep is actually a Roman numeral 10. It symbolizes the 10th anniversary of his band Maroon 5.