Read here 32 fun unknown facts about Katy Perry!
1. She was born October 25, 1984 in Santa Barbara, California.
2. She has a contralto vocal range.
3. Katy Perry isn’t actually her real name. Her full name is Katheryn Elizabeth Hudson, but she later changed her name to avoid confusion with the actress Kate Hudson.
4. Perry is actually her mother’s maiden name.
5. She has an older sister, Angela, and younger brother, Dan.
6. She cites Alanis Morrissette and the late Queen singer Freddy Mercury as influences on her music.
7. Both of her parents are pastors. She started her singing career at her parents church at the age of 9 and sang until she was 17.
8. Katy Perry and Paul McCartney are practically BFFs.
9. Katy Perry helped deliver a baby in a living room.
The mother was Katy Perry’s older sister, Angela Hudson, who had a water birth in a friend’s living room. Perry recorded the delivery on her iPhone.
10. Perry grew up with strict Pentecostal Christian parents and she wasn’t even allowed to watch The Smurfs or read Harry Potter. Ironically enough, in July 2011 Katy made her film debut as Smurfette in The Smurfs.
11. “Teenage Dream” had five No. 1 singles, which is tied for the most ever on an album with Michael Jackson’s “Bad.”
12. After just a few months of high school, Katy Perry completed her GED to pursue singing.
13. She cites Alanis Morrissette and the late Queen singer Freddy Mercury as influences on her music.
14. Celebrities these days are obsessed with social media websites. They have become regular users of websites such as Facebook and Twitter. Katy Perry is no different. She maintains an active twitter account to keep in touch with her fans. In October 2012, it was revealed that the twitter account of Katy Perry has the third highest number of followers after Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga. She has approximately 30 million followers.
15. Katy Perry a gay activist. She is also one of those celebrities to have voted “NO” to Prop 8, which was an amendment put forward in the state of California to declare that a marriage can only be between a man and a woman. She backed President Obama in recent elections, as he was a supporter of homosexual marriage. Not only that, Katy Perry was also seen kissing Whoopi Goldberg in 2008 after her performance on TV.
16. Katy Perry married British comedian Russell Brand on October 23, 2010 in Rajasthan, India while they were on a vacation there. The ceremony was carried out in a traditional Indian way. However, they both filed for a divorce after just 14 months of marriage. The reason, as hinted by Katy Perry, behind their divorce was related to starting a family. She is now currently dating singer John Mayer.
17. Katy Perry owns locks of both Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus’ hair, and has kept them in her purse.
18. Katy Perry has 4 tattoos. She has ‘Jesus’ tattooed on her left wrist, a tattoo on the left arm in Sanskrit which means “Go with the Flow”, a strawberry tattooed on her left foot and on her right foot, a peppermint tattoo.
19. Katy Perry and Avril Lavigne are female singers with their own distinctive styles. Apart from their different music styles, both also have a different taste when it comes to fashion. However, when Katy Perry was starting out with Columbia Records, the record label wanted her to be the next Avril Lavigne, which obviously was rejected by Katy Perry.
20. Katy Perry has a pet cat named Kitty Purry. She loves her cat dearly and is often seen giving Kitty haircuts. Not only that, Kitty Purry has her own blog and was also nominated for Teen Choice Award in the category of Best Celebrity Pet in the year 2009.
21. She uses the jumping rope to keep her physically fit and have a flawless body.
22. Katy Perry dropped out of school when she was only 15 and left home at the age of 17 to pursue her musical career. Thus, she never completed her education. May be that is why she is very poor at spelling.
23. Katy Perry sure knows how to keep and please her friends. She loves mixing CDs for her friends. According to some of her close friends, she makes the best CD mixes and is known to have great taste in music.
24. When her song “I Kissed a Girl” came out, it became wildly popular amongst fans. Even today, when she performs the song during her concerts, cherry chap-sticks are often thrown at her by her fans.
25. Wonder where all Katy’s outfits go after she is done with them? She gives them away to her backstage crew.
26. She first caught the eye of producers from Nashville, Tennesee when she was just 15 years old singing in a church choir. They took her Nashville to help her with her writing skills and teach her guitar.
27. In 2010 she appeared as a guest judge alongside Simon Cowell in The X Factor.
28. Despite having trouble getting her record made and staying at one label she managed to get her song “Long Shot” into the soundtrack for The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
29. She has written songs for Selena Gomez, Ashley Tisdale and Kelly Clarkson.
30. Her first album “One of the Boys” featured the hit singles “I Kissed a Girl” and “Hot n Cold.”
31. She was supposed to appear in the Russell Brand film Get Him to the Greek, but later had her scene cut.
32. Her hit song “I Kissed a Girl” was partially inspired by actress Scarlett Johansson.