You can read them in the list below!
1. Carey was named after “They Call The Wind Mariah,” a song from the musical “Paint Your Wagon.”
2. Her mother was a mezzo-soprano New York City opera singer and a freelance vocal coach; whereas, her father was an aeronautical engineer.
3. Her full name is Mariah Angela Carey. She was born in Huntington, New York, on March 27, 1970, to an Irish-American mother Patricia Hickey and an African American/Venezuelan father Alfred Roy Carey.
4. Her debut record earned her two Grammy Awards.
5. She has more number one hit singles than Elvis Presley. The Beatles are the only artists ahead of her in that category.
6. She has a five octave range, which is two octaves higher than normal soprano.
7. Her musical influences among others are Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, Gladys Knight, Minnie Riperton and Stevie Wonder.
8. Her song with Boys II Men, “One Sweet Day” holds the record for being the longest running number one song in history after spending 16 weeks on the Billboard 100.
9. Mirage was her high school nickname because she cut class so often.
10. She bought Marilyn Monroe’s white baby grand piano for $662,500.
12. Her family was target for their multiracial roots – people would burn crosses on their lawn, poison their dogs, their car was blown up, and a shot fired through the kitchen window while they were eating dinner.
13. One day Carey, shocked her mother by imitating her singing opera. She was two years old and had her first voice lessons at age 4.
14. Mariah Carey graced the cover of the March 2007 “Sex & Music” issue of PlayBoy in a swimsuit. Mariah refused to do any nudity in any of the pictures.
15. Her godmother is R&B icon Patti LaBelle.
16. Carey studied cosmetology in Manhattan.
17. Before hitting it big, she worked a number of odd jobs to support herself, including hat/coat-checker, hostess, hair sweeper in hairdressing salons, and waitress.
18. Her first marriage was to the president of Columbia Records (Tommy Mottola) in 1993 but they divorced in 1998. She became vegetarian while she was married to him.
19. Her big break came when one of her demo tapes got into the hands of Sony Music executive Tommy Mottola. She got a contract with Columbia Records, and released her self-titled debut album in 1990.
20. Some music critics say Mariah sang one of the highest notes ever produced by a human voice during a performance of “Emotions” at the 1991 MTV Music Video Awards.
21. Mariah has her own personal limo for her dog, jack russell terrier, Jack.
22. All I Want For Christmas is You,” is the second Christmas song to bear that title. Vince Vance & The Valiants’ released a popular song called “All I Want For Christmas is You” in 1989, but Carey’s song bears no similarities with their Christmas country staple.
23. She left Columbia in 2000 and signed a $100 million recording contract with Virgin Records.
24. In 1994, Carey released her holiday album Merry Christmas has sold over 15 million copies worldwide, and is the best-selling Christmas album of all time.
25. Her 2001 movie “Glitter”earned her the Razzie Award for “Worst Actress” for her role.
26. Cary met actor/comedian Nick Cannon while they were shooting a music video for “Bye Bye”, on an island off the coast of Antigua. They got married shortly after in a private ceremony at her private estate on Windermere Island in The Bahamas. When asked about their 11-year age gap by Oprah, Mariah said “Age ain’t nothing but a number.”
27. She became pregnant shortly after they married but unfortunately had a miscarriage. She did not share this personal information until 2010 when they announced she was pregnant with twins.
28. Mariah and Nick welcomed Monroe and Moroccan Cannon via c-section in April 2011.
29. She signed a contract with shaving company Gillette to head their “Legs Of A Goddess” advertisement campaign which then prompted her to insure her legs for $1 billion.
30. Her favorite actor / actress is James Dean and Marilyn Monroe which inspired her daughters name, Monroe Cannon. Meanwhile, their son Moroccan Scott was named after the location in which Cannon proposed to Carey in her Moroccan-style room and Scott is Cannon’s middle name.