Learn here 30 fun facts about the famous actress Sofia Vergara!
1. Sofia was discovered at 17 by a photographer on a Colombian beach.
2. Sofía Margarita Vergara Vergara was born July 10, 1972 in Barranquilla, Atlántico, Colombia. Her mother, Margarita Vergara Dávila de Vergara, is a housewife, and her father, Julio Enrique Vergara Robayo, produced cattle for the meat industry.
3. Her nickname growing up was ‘La Toti’.
4. Vergara was “apprehensive about doing her first television commercial-until her Catholic school teachers gave her their personal permission to take the assignment.”
5. She got her big break on the Mexican telenovela “Acapulco, Cuerpo y Alma” in 1995.
6. Growing up, she attended a private bilingual Spanish/English school, known as Marymount School Barranquilla.
7. Vergara became a household name in Latin America when she co-hosted Univision’s Spanish travel show “Fuera De Serie “from 1995-1998. The show took Vergara and co-host Fernando Fiore to various exotic locations.
8. She got married at 18 to Joe Gonzalez and had her first and only child at the age of 20, named Manolo. She named her son after the hunky character of Steven Bauer in the 1983 masterpiece Scarface.
9. Unfortunately, the marriage didn’t work and they divorced a year later and she went on to study pre-dentistry at a university in Colombia for three years.
10. Vergara was raised Catholic, and her religious beliefs were sometimes in conflict with her modeling and acting successes.
11. She soon lands several gigs, including a starring role in a Pepsi commercial. She used the money she earned to support her family.
12. Being cast as Gloria in the ABC sitcom Modern Family opposite Ed O’Neill and Rico Rodriguez put her in the top league with other actors and she instantly catapulted in the viewer’s choice ratings due to her frivolity, sexiness and great character. Ironically, she was already a huge fan of Ed O’Neill and used to watch him as a kid.
13. In 2009, she gave her first Broadway performance as Mama Morton in Chicago and was a hit with the public thereafter.
14. She dated singer Craig Davis for a few months but it did not last long.
15. She began dating Tom Cruise after meeting him at a party in 2005 but even that relationship didn’t last long.
16. In 2002, she was the spokesperson for Miller Lite and even appeared in a Spanish language commercial for them.
17. In 2000, she was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and had a surgery to have the thyroid gland removed.
18. She also admits about wanting to have breast reduction when she was a child as she was ’embarrassed with them’, but now she is happy for her voluptuous chest.
19. She hasn’t had a single inch of plastic work done on her and she proudly admits of having a naturally made sexy body and curves.
20. She is 5’8″ tall and has a love for shoes and stilettos.
21. Some believe that her unnatural accent is actually fake and a put up for her comic role which she has to portray. However, this is as far as it could be from the truth. In reality, her accent is as natural as possible and in fact she has to modulate it while shooting so as not to sound too weird. However, she also agrees that she works on it to suit her role of Gloria Pritchett.
22. She was nominated for the Emmy, Golden Globe and SAG awards for her laugh out loud role in Modern Family.
23. She was also nominated for Prime Time Emmy award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for four continuous years beginning in 2010.
24. She has been named one of People Magazine’s “50 most beautiful people” and has been recognized by both the Hollywood Reporter and Billboard as one of the most influential Latinas in Hollywood.
25. She is followed by many people on her social networking accounts and is believed to be influential in the industry, her favorite actors being Al Pacino, Robert De Niro and Marlon Brando.
26. Although her smile has won over thousands of hearts, this Barranquilla native is a strong-tempered woman, and sometimes a little bit impulsive.
27. After being named as the face of CoverGirl in 2011, Vergara had her first mainstream advertisements appearing in the TV across the country. She started off with a Diet Pepsi commercial with David Beckham in 2011 and another one in 2012. She often appeared in the commercials for her own clothing line for soccer moms and also starred in the advertisements of the Comcast’s brand Xfinity and State Farm. Many other companies like Diet Pepsi, Rooms to Go and the Medicine Giant Synthroid have signed her up for commercials and mainstream advertisements.
28. In an interview for a men’s magazine, she reportedly said, ” I am known for my boobs which is actually bad. I also do have a great ass“.
29. During the movie “New Year’s Eve” Sofía Vergara performed as an actress next to the singer Jon Bon Jovi, who was her first teenage crush. She enjoyed the time taking pictures with him and sharing them with her friends.
30. Bullying marked some of her childhood experiences, since she was extremely thin and her classmates would make fun of her body type. In her own words, they made her feel as an “ugly duckling”.