1. Zootopia (known as Zootropolis in some territories) is a 2016 American 3D computer-animated buddy comedy-drama adventure film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures.
2. It is the 55th Disney animated feature film.
3. The film is directed by Byron Howard and Rich Moore, co-directed by Jared Bush, and stars the voices of Ginnifer Goodwin, Jason Bateman, Idris Elba, J.K. Simmons, Tommy Chong, Octavia Spencer, Jenny Slate, and Shakira.
4. It was released in the Disney Digital 3D, RealD 3D, and IMAX 3D formats on March 4, 2016.
5. The film details the unlikely partnership between a rabbit police officer and a red fox con artist as they uncover a conspiracy that involves missing predator civilians.
6. The film was met in the United States with considerable critical acclaim, with praise for its graphic design, sophisticated writing with its mix of humor and drama, and timely themes about prejudice and stereotypes.
7. The film opened to record-breaking box office success in several countries.
8. The project was first announced in August 2013 at that year’s D23 Expo.
9. The film is scripted by Jared Bush, is scheduled for a March 2016 release.
10. Prior to the official announcement, in May 2013, information about Jason Bateman’s casting was leaked to the press although little else about the film was known at the time.
11. The idea originated with Howard wanting to do a film similar to Disney’s 1970s adaptation of Robin Hood which also featured animals in anthropomorphic roles.
12. With this in mind, the city was envisioned as if animals designed it rather than humans.
13. According to Howard, Zootopia will be different from other animal anthropomorphic films, where animals either live in the natural world or in the human world. The concept, where animals live in a modern world designed by animals, was well received by chief creative officer John Lasseter, who lifted Howard “in the air like a baby Simba” when he proposed the idea for the film.
14. Research for the film took place in Disney’s Animal Kingdom, as well as in Kenya, where animators studied various animals walk cycles as well as fur color.
15. The film’s score is composed by Michael Giacchino. It marks his first feature-length project for Walt Disney Animation Studios, as he previously scored the Goofy short How to Hook Up Your Home Theater, the two Prep & Landing specials and short film, and the short film The Ballad of Nessie.
16. In addition to her voice role of Gazelle, pop star Shakira also contributed an original song to the film titled “Try Everything”, which was written by Sia and Stargate.
17. The film’s score was recorded with an 80-piece orchestra in November 2015, with Tim Simonec conducting.
18. Zootopia was released on February 10, 2016 in Belgium, on February 12, 2016 in Spain, on February 17, 2016 in France, and on February 18, 2016 in Italy.
19. The United States followed on March 4, 2016.
20. The film’s European title, Zootropolis, will be released across the European countries other than Belgium on March 25, 2016; six weeks after the initial theatrical release in Belgium.
21. Zootopia was released in Disney Digital 3D, RealD 3D, and IMAX 3D, making it the first animated Disney film since Treasure Planet to be shown in domestic IMAX theatres.
22. The first teaser trailer was released online at Walt Disney Animation Studios’ YouTube page on June 11, 2015, and theatrically with Pixar’s Inside Out.
23. At 108 minutes, this is the longest movie by Walt Disney Animation Studios except for the anthology film Fantasia (1940).
24. It was November 2014 when the production team decided to change the story to emphasize Judy Hopps as the main character rather than Nick Wilde. To help with the difficulties of the late sudden change, Rich Moore was hired as a director alongside Byron Howard and Jared Bush.
25. The pirated DVDs that Duke Weaselton is selling are movies with wordplays to other Walt Disney Animation Studio features. Examples are “Wreck-It Rhino” (“Wreck-It Ralph”) and “Meowna” (the upcoming “Moana”).
26. Nick calls Judy Hopps by her first name only once in the film. He more commonly calls her “Rabbit” or “Carrots”.
27. The actor who plays Peter Moosebridge is a real news anchor for the CBC in Canada named Peter Mansbridge.
28. This is the first of two animated movies in 2016 featuring Jenny Slate. The next one is The Secret Life of Pets (2016).
29. Originally, the film revolved around Nick Wilde (voiced by Jason Bateman). However, test audiences reported that they had a hard time connecting with him emotionally and instead found themselves drawn to Judy (voiced by Ginnifer Goodwin ) and the story was changed.
30. In the night howler lab scene, the rams who deliver the coffee are named Walter and Jesse, referencing the characters from Breaking Bad.
31. In the Chinese cut of the film, Peter Moosebridge (as played by news broadcaster Peter Mansbridge) appears as an unnamed panda character, not as a Canadian moose.
32. Judy’s cellphone provider, as seen on her screen, is PB&J.
33. Mr. Big’s home is based on The Godfather. The driveway is blocked off with a chain, the house is modeled after Vito Corleone’s place, the study/office resembles the Godfather’s study. The main characters, Officer Hopps and Nick, also are brought to Mr. Big’s on the day of his daughter’s wedding, which is how the Godfather opens.
34. Bellwether is shown having a sticky note on her office desk with the name ‘Doug’ and a phone number. Doug is later introduced as a ram producing the night howler serum.
35. Idris Elba will also voice a character in Jungle Book and Dory.
36. When the Assistant Mayor is in her office, helping Judy and Nick locate some files, there is a post it note on her desk with Doug’s phone number on it.
37. The horn heard when Judy Hops leaves her hometown again when she arrives in Zootopia is the horn from the Mororail at Disney Parks. The SkyTram in the Rain Forest is a reference to the Skyway that ferried guests from Fantasy Land to Tomorrow Land in Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. The Sky Buckets were removed from Disneyland in 1994, from the Magic Kingdom in 1999.
38. The florist shop where Emmitt Otterton works is named Flora and Fauna, 2 of the fairy godmothers in Sleeping Beauty.
39. Josh Dallas voices a background character named “frantic pig”. Dallas and Ginnifer Goodwin, who voices Judy, star together in the ABC fantasy series Once Upon A Time as Snow White and Prince Charming. Goodwin and Dallas are married in real life.
40. The main character is a female police officer named Judy Hopps similar to the 21 Jump Street character Judy Hoffs played by Holly Robinson.