The Vampire Diaries is an American supernatural drama television series. Let’s see some amazing facts and trivia about it!
1.The series is developed by Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec.
2. It is based on the popular book series of the same name written by L. J. Smith.
3. The series premiered on The CW on September 10, 2009.
4. The pilot episode attracted the largest audience for The CW of any series premiere since the network began in 2006.
5. The first season averaged 3.60 million viewers, and following seasons have maintained an audience of over 2 million viewers.
6. It was the most-watched series on the network before being supplanted by Arrow.
7. The series began with mixed reviews, but critics agreed as the first season progressed that the show improved.
8. Subsequent seasons have premiered to more positive critical reception.
9. The show has received numerous award nominations, winning four People’s Choice Award and many Teen Choice Awards.
10. Initially, Kevin Williamson had little interest in developing the series, finding the premise too similar to other vampire tales.
11. However, at the urging of Julie Plec, he began to read the novels and started to become intrigued by the story: “I began to realize that it was a story about a small town, about that town’s underbelly and about what lurks under the surface.”
12. Williamson has stated the town’s story will be the main focus of the series rather than high school.
13. On February 6, 2009, Variety announced that The CW had green-lit the pilot for The Vampire Diaries with Williamson and Julie Plec set as the head writers and executive producers.
14. On May 19, 2009, the series was officially ordered for the 2009–2010 season.
15. The pilot episode was filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia, but the rest of the episodes have been filmed in Covington, Georgia (which doubles as the show’s fictional small town of Mystic Falls, Virginia) and various other communities around Greater Atlanta to take advantage of local tax incentives.
16. On the morning of May 10, 2012, a fire broke out in the building on Clark Street in Covington that was used as the setting for Mystic Grill on the show.
17. The series was given a full 22-episode order on October 21, 2009 after strong ratings for the first half of the season.
18. Now there is a spin-off called The Originals, that goes into depth about the original vampire family from The Vampire Diaries.
19. President of The CW, Mark Pedowitz, said in an interview at the summer TCA’s that The Vampire Diaries didn’t receive an extra episode order for the second season at the request of Kevin Williamson.
20. Kevin Williamson felt to do the best show possible, he would rather do 22 episodes. “I’d rather have a great 22 than a good 24 if Kevin couldn’t do it,” he explained.
21. The first writers meeting for the fifth season held on April 15, 2013. Filming began on July 10, 2013 and finished on April 10, 2014.
22. Former president of entertainment at The CW, Dawn Ostroff, mentioned a spin-off idea in 2010 that she said could happen in a few years.
23. A spin-off was in development for the 2011 fall line-up but due to Kevin Williamson’s commitment to The Secret Circle, it was put on hold indefinitely.
24. On January 11, 2013, it was announced that a back-door pilot focused on the Originals, starring Joseph Morgan as Klaus titled The Originals would air on April 25 for a potential series pick-up for the 2013–2014 season.
25. This second spin-off attempt was carried out by Julie Plec with no involvement by Kevin Williamson.
26. On April 26, 2013, The CW announced that The Originals had been ordered to series premiere in the 2013–14 television season. The Originals premiered on October 3, 2013.
27. Daniel Gillies as Elijah, Claire Holt as Rebekah, and Phoebe Tonkin as Hayley will also continue to play their characters, originally from The Vampire Diaries, in the new spin-off series.
28. Producers reported that there will be a transition of the characters in both series. Claire Holt made a special cameo on episodes of The Vampire Diaries, in the episodes “I Know What You Did Last Summer” and “500 Years of Solitude”.Michael Trevino made a special cameo on episodes of The Originals, “Bloodletting” and “The River In Reverse”. Joseph Morgan, Daniel Gillies and Claire Holt returned in a special cameo on the series’ 100th episode “500 Years of Solitude”.
29. Nina Dobrev also appeared on the 5th episode of the second season of The Originals, Red Door, as Tatia.
30. At the Television Critics Association winter 2016 press tour, CW president Mark Pedowitz announced an official crossover between The Vampire Diaries and The Originals where Stefan goes on the run and finds safe haven in New Orleans where he runs into Klaus.
31. On October 31, 2013, DC Comics launched a comic book series based on the TV show.
32. Nina Dobrev (Elena), Paul Wesley (Stefan) and Ian Somerhalder (Damon) are the only actors in the staff who get paid $40,000 per episode.
33. All episodes in Season 6 are the names of 90s songs. The exception being the episodes, “Bird In A Guilded Cage”, “I Never Could Love Like That”,”I’ll Wed You in the Golden Summer Time”,”I’m Thinking Of You All The While” were song titles from the year 1903.
34. Zach Roerig, Michael Trevino and Paul Wesley originally auditioned to play Damon before landing their respective roles.
35. Nina Dobrev is six months younger than Steven R. McQueen while her character is two years older than his character.
36. In the novel, Caroline Forbes got pregnant by Tyler. They had twin werewolves. However in the series Caroline is a surrogate mother to twin siphoned-witches.
37. Ian Somerhalder auditioned twice for the role “Damon Salvatore” until he got it.
38. Joseph Morgan (Klaus) married Persia White (Abby) who is 9 years older than him. They met while on the set.
39. When playing the role of Katherine Pierce, Nina Dobrev wears a “curly hair wig.
40. Nina Dobrev (Elena) and Ian Somerhalder (Damon) dated in real life.
41. In the book Katherine is described as a kitten while Elena is a tiger, but in the show, the opposite clearly applies.
42. In the book Stefan dated Caroline first. He is avoiding Elena because she looks like Katherine.
43. Nina Dobrev says she’s willing to come back for the series finale as Elena Gilbert to conclude her story on a happy note.
44. Though it’s possible they could get her to return earlier as Elena for flashbacks or going inside her head but after some time has passed.
45. Zach Roerig, who plays Matt, has a young daughter! He won full custody of her, which wasn’t too hard considering his kid’s mom is in jail.