1. Ghostbusters is an upcoming American supernatural comedy film and a reboot of the Ghostbusters franchise.
2. It is directed by Paul Feig and written by Katie Dippold and Feig.
3. It stars Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, and Leslie Jones as the title characters.
4. The film is scheduled for a July 15, 2016 release.
5. The plot: Erin Gilbert (Kristen Wiig) and Abby Yates (Melissa McCarthy) are a pair of unheralded authors who write a book positing that ghosts are real. A few years later, Gilbert lands a prestigious teaching position at Columbia University, but her book resurfaces and she is laughed out of academia. When ghosts invade Manhattan, Gilbert reunites with Yates, teaming up with a nuclear engineer, Jillian Holtzmann (Kate McKinnon), and a subway worker, Patty Tolan (Leslie Jones), to save the world from a mysterious evil but powerful demon known as Rowan (Neil Casey).
6. Ghostbusters’ original release date in the United States was July 22, 2016, but the film’s release was brought back a week to July 15.
7. During the 1990s, Dan Aykroyd’s concept for a third Ghostbusters film revolved around the Ghostbusters being in Hell. This was scrapped later on since the MPAA will give it a PG-13 and the BBFC a 12 if it is used.
8. Jason Reitman, son of original Ghostbusters (1984) director Ivan Reitman, was asked in an interview if he would consider directing the reboot. Reitman joked that, based on his existing work, his version of the film would just be people talking about ghosts.
9. In the late 2000s, Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd supervised a script for a third Ghostbusters film written by Year One (2009) co-writers Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg. Bill Murray later said, in an interview with GQ, that he never read the script after Year One was a commercial and critical failure. Later, Etan Cohen wrote a draft. Aykroyd vehemently denied a rumor that Murray shredded the script. During an appearance on the Howard Stern Show, Murray admitted he had not read that draft either.
10. This will be Melissa McCarthy’s fourth time with Paul Feig, after starring in Bridesmaids (2011), The Heat (2013), and Spy (2015).
11. A third Ghostbusters (1984) had been stalled in development for nearly 15 years, until director Paul Feig pitched a reboot instead.
12. Some scenes were filmed at the Ames family Stone Mansion at Borderland State Park in Massachusetts, where the Stone Lodge/Lake scenes for Shutter Island were filmed.
13. Jennifer Lawrence and Rebel Wilson were considered by director Paul Feig for roles in the movie.
14. In early pre-production, Anne Hathaway was reportedly considered for a role. The role was supposedly a doctor named Anna.
15. Emma Stone turned down an offer to star in the movie. She stated that while she liked the script, she did not want to commit to another potential series so soon after appearing in The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) and its sequel.
16. In Ghostbusters 2 (1989), Elaine, a guest on Peter Venkman’s “The World of the Psychic”, says the world will end on February 14, 2016, This film is slated to be released in July 2016.
17. Four of the cast members, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones, Kate McKinnon, and Cecily Strong have been Saturday Night Live (1975) regulars. Melissa McCarthy has also hosted SNL four times. Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd were also SNL stars, and co-star Harold Ramis was a writer for the Canadian sketch show Second City TV (1976), co-starring Rick Moranis.
18. Anna Faris, Alyssa Milano, and Eliza Dushku were rumored or mentioned by Dan Aykroyd as potential female Ghostbusters, before the project was a reboot.
19. Even though the movie is set like the original in New York City, most of the filming of the movie is being done on locations in and around Boston. These locations include Chinatown in Boston, Easton and the old Southfield Airbase in Rockland Massachusetts. The set at Southfield was set out as a NY city street complete with street lights, lots of green screens and the focal point being a two story structure with a office building feel to it.
20. First Ghostbusters film not to be directed by Ivan Reitman.
21. This is Kristen Wiig and Paul Feig third collaboration together. Wiig appeared in Feig’s first feature, Unaccompanied Minors (2006), and starred in Bridesmaids (2011). Melissa McCarthy co-starred in Bridesmaids.
22. Ghostbusters (1984) and Ghostbusters 2 (1989) followed a group of four men (three parapsychologists and one civilian) who run a ghost capturing business. This is a “genderswapped” reboot, following four women instead.