Fifty Shades Darker is an American erotic romantic drama film directed by James Foley and written by Niall Leonard, based on a novel of same name by E.L. James. Let’s see some interesting facts and trivia about it!
1.In April 2015, Universal Pictures chairman Donna Langley told The Hollywood Reporter that the second instalment will be “more of a thriller.
2. In July 2015, it was confirmed that singer Rita Ora would be returning for the sequel to portray her role of Mia Grey.
3. Henry Cavill was being eyed for the role of Jack Hyde, and Charlize Theron to cast as Mrs Robinson.
4. On August 20, 2015, it was revealed by Deadline that James Foley was the front-runner to direct the sequel and third film Fifty Shades Freed, while the studio was also eyeing some other directors including Rebecca Thomas, Mark Pellington, and Tanya Wexler, and talks with Foley were not yet began.
5. On November 12, 2015, TheWrap confirmed that Foley would direct both sequels which would be shot back to-back in 2016, with Michael De Luca and Dana Brunetti returning to produce along with E.L. James.
6. Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan would also return for the sequels.
7. On January 28, 2016, Kim Basinger joined the film to play the role of Elena Lincoln, Grey’s business partner and former lover.
8. Luke Grimes, Eloise Mumford and Max Martini would be returning for the sequel.
9. Principal photography was set to begin in Vancouver in June 2015.
10. Filming began in Paris and Vancouver from February 9, 2016 to July 12, 2016, under the working title, “Further Adventures of Max and Banks 2 & 3.
11. Fifty Shades Darker is scheduled to be released on February 10, 2017 by Universal Pictures.
12. Its sequel and the final installment is also filming back-to-back for a February 2018 release.
13. The novel is published by Vintage Books and reached #1 on the USA Today best seller list.
14. Fans have expressed interest in actresses such as Kim Cattrall, Michelle Pfeiffer and Charlize Theron for the role of Elena Lincoln aka “Mrs. Robinson”.
15. After receiving backlash that clean shaven Jamie Dornan wasn’t sexy enough as Christian Grey in the first film the producers decided that he could keep his stubble for Darker and Freed.
16. Screenwriter Niall Leonard is the husband of E.L. James, who wrote the book series it is based upon.
17. Elena Lincoln is Christian’s longtime friend and business partner. She is described as a tall, elegant, sexy, regal platinum blonde and appears to be in her late 30s or early 40s.
18. Elliot Grey is son of Carrick Grey and Dr. Grace Trevelyan-Grey, and elder brother to Christian Grey and Mia Grey.
19. Mia Grey: Adoptive daughter of Carrick Grey and Dr. Grace Trevelyan Grey and younger sister of Christian Grey and Elliot Grey.
20. After the first film’s director, Sam Taylor-Johnson, declined to return to direct the sequel, James Foley took on the job.