Learn here the 10 most interesting facts about the romantic dramedy “Coyote Ugly” of 2000, according to zimbio.com.
1. The movie is inspired by the real experiences of author Elizabeth Gilbert of “Eat, Pray, Love” fame.
2. Jessica Simpson auditioned for the lead role of Violet Sanford.
3. Britney Spears and Jewel were also considered for the role.
4. The real Coyote Ugly Saloon opened in 1993 in New York City.
5. LeAnne Rimes did all of the singing for Piper Perabo.
6. The soundtrack for the movie was on the Billboard Top 40 for over a year.
7. Kevin Smith did an uncredited rewrite of the script. Despite the fact that eight writers helped Smith work on it, the Writers Guild of America only gave credit to Gina Wendkos. She went on to write the screenplay for The Princess Diaries and The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement.
8. Coyote Ugly is a real slang term, apparently. According to Urban Dictionary, it’s “waking up from a drunken stupor to find that your sexual partner of the previous night is not only ghastly, but is sleeping with his/her head resting on your arm. The only way to escape, without waking the beast, is to chew off your arm and flee.”
9. LeAnn Rimes was only 17 when the movie came out.
Critics took issue with her overly sexy outfit (leather pants and a skimpy top) and the fact that, even with a fake ID, she would “never have been allowed inside any NYC bar.”
10. Johnny Knoxville and Michael Bay both make cameos in the film.